July 2009 Westiva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 2009 Westiva

Hoping to repeat the Western Canada meet but with more cars. Thinking of the July 18/19 weekend at the same location as last year, Wedge Pond in Kananaskis Country.

There's lots of camping and even two or three hotels in the area. One thing I'd like to do next time is go for a drive up over the Highwood Pass or a trip into Canmore.

Open to ideas and suggestions on this.

Cheers
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

ill be there, even if a have to push it all the way there.... im not missing another.....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Just posted this on the forum's Calendar and added a bit more info...
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

Let me know if you're even just thinking of coming and I'll compile a list......
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Hmm. Dont think that weekend will work for me. I wont be able to take the saturday off as i am taking the previous saturday off to go to Winnipeg. And it just a little bit too far to go after work to make it for a sunday.

-Scott
          Aqua 93 L
          Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
          White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I am off Friday, Sat, Sun, and Mon so I will be there for sure... well 99% for sure.... I think we are going to try to find a 8 foot truck camper and then haul the trailer behind with the festiva on the trailer...
            90 festiva BP/G25MR swap, spec v seats, aspire brakes, FMS springs, round headlight conversion with HID's, custom exhaust, fiberglass hood, and a whole lotta bodywork
            BEFORE AFTER

Comment

well i will be there, dosen't matter what i have to do, lol i got see some of these cars!! and show off the one that i have.
              93 FestivaSVT

Comment

I'd love to go but I'm not sure about the date yet. It would definately be great to take a drive to Canmore or some place.

Comment

^ im the same. a few weekends in either direction and it wouldnt be a problem.

-Scott
                  Aqua 93 L
                  Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                  White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

There is a great spot in Petrolia, CA.(deep Redwood Lost Coast)

Driving south of Scotia, CA on US 101 there is a turn-off into the forest of immense redwoods going west which with about two hours of amazing, twisting, climbing, descending, often nearly one lane road will take a person into the tiny hamlet of Petrolia, CA.

The summer of '05 I went there for THE FIRST ANNUAL LOST COAST PUPPET FEAST which was held in the large local well maintained grange hall with a nice modern full kitchen we'd had the use of over the three day weekend of the event.

But, the great part was the adjacent campgrounds, which were like only about $10 a night if that though I have to admit my memory now is porous though knowing I slept there the place must've been cheap. And, also very attractive, large and with modern rest room facilities and plenty of the local attraction the trees.

Petrolia can also be approached with about the same equal amount of very arduous driving from the north via the town of Ferndale, CA(where the movie THE MAJESTIC was filmed starring Jim Carrey) except from that direction there is a beautiful stretch for a long distance along the Pacific ocean.

Fair warning though, when I say a long and arduous drive in my Festiva; you know anyone who left the highway when I did in a motor home is still trying to get there.(the "road" sort of resembles a go-kart track designed by someone who built golf courses yet hated fairways)
                    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

May 27-29 Puppet Festival :: May 26, 2005.
                      [From Moderator: Please note that this is an independent festival.]

Could you post the updated schedual with direction? Thank you, Fredricka

Lost Coast Puppet Feast
                      May 27th, 28th, and 29th Petrolia and Eureka CA.

A weekend retreat for puppeteers, puppet watchers, puppet lovers, and
                      the puppet obsessed. A one-of-a-kind opportunity to see puppet
                      performances, learn about puppetry, and enjoy great food and camping
                      in the beautiful Mattole River valley.

See a contemporary adaptation of "Dr. Faustis" in the style of Greek
                      shadow comedy (with a Humboldt twist). See the world's premier ukulele
                      playing ventriloquist puppet and his unique form of new vaudeville.
                      See celebrity puppets in embarrassing situations. See yourself having
                      a great time. See incredible works of art made out of garbage. Be
                      ready for some surprises too.

Schedule:

Fri. May 27th at A.W. Way Campground

Meet and greet at the campground

Sat. May 28th at the Mattole Valley Grange (right next to the campground)

10am-3pm Workshops:
                      Puppet Construction: Casting, Cardboard, Soft-Sculpture, Foam-Patterning
                      How to Make a Living as a Puppeteer
                      Writing for the Puppet Theatre

3pm Family Puppet Making Workshop FREE!
                      4pm Family Show
                      Shoe Box Puppets: Cucko and Grandma
                      JJ Trinket's Double Jointed Festival Series: Love Sick Sea Tale I
                      The Bobby Burns with Binky the Chicken

6pm PUPPET FEAST (eating food not puppets).
                      8pm Adult Puppet Performances
                      Humboldt Shadows: epic shadow comedy
                      JJ Trinket's Double Jointed Festival Series: Love Sick Sea Tale II
                      Fight of the Century
                      Mr. Mojo's Magical Puppet Troupe

Sun. May 29th

9am Breakfast at the grange
                      Round table discussion on the future of puppetry
                      10am-noon workshops continue
                      Enjoy nature
                      See the Kinetic Sculpture Race
                      7pm Puppet Cabaret:
                      at the Soma Olam art space in Eureka
                      (W. 3rd St. Between A St. and Commercial).
                      Skeleton Woman
                      Bruce Marrs: Puppet Pantomime
                      Jane Chen: The Chinese Clown Cabaret
                      Cookies and Yogurt
                      The Naked Puppeteers: The Consultation
                      JJ Trinket's Double Jointed Festival Series: Dr. Chain's Magic Show
                      Mumblesticks

Weekend pass(includes all shows, workshops and food!) $65.

From 101 take Honey Dew Exit, go west on Mattole Rd. through Humboldt
                      Redwood St. Park. At Honey Dew Go to your Right on Mattole Rd. Towards
                      Petrolia. A. W. Way Camp Ground and Mattole Grange will be on your
                      left.

Questions call Fredrika Lamphere (707) 445-58five3 or
                      email her at firecircus hotmail dot com

note: BOBSTAD

mayhaps Fredrika missed the advantageous humor in advertising THE SECOND FIRST ANNUAL LOST COAST PUPPET FEAST?(all chocolate puppets, various fillings, no strings attached...except in the string bean filled of course)
                      Last edited by bobstad; 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM. Reason: The Jimmy Owens part was taken and I don't look like Louis Lane
                      '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

i'm def. gonna have to come. ya know for educational purposes and health reasons and economical stimuli and whatever else i've gotta tell my boss! couldn't find it on the calender though
                        light a man a fire and he'll stay warm for the night.
                        light a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.:faroah:

Comment

I will be there too for sure!!!!

Comment

Here's a little more detail...

Here's the link to the calendar page for this meet.

My own plans have changed a little in that I probably won't be camping overnight but will be spending the day a Wedge Pond with the family. I'll get some more info on location etc posted a little later.

Cheers
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Ian are you just gonna come out the saturday?.....the way im comming back from winnipeg i just may be able to stop by on the way back on saturday afternoon. wont be in the festiva though...but if i have my way...it will be in the mazdaspeed 3!
                              Last edited by leapin; 03-11-2009, 10:02 AM. Reason: too early in the morning.

-Scott
                              Aqua 93 L
                              Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                              White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Working...
                              X