carb options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb options

ok, the stock carb has gotta go. it sucks. bad. i did some searching on the subject and found a little bit, but nothing specifically about other carb setups. anybody with some light to shed on the subject is welcome to post.
    oh and i'm looking for something CHEAP like $100-200 and below. i saw the weber 32/36, but thats pretty expensive from what i see. gdawgs, what kind of carb do you have?
    thanks y'all!
    89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...77-my-89-build
    92 integra, daily driver, broke a clutch disc, sold
    New dd, 02 Nissan sentra, 1.8 5 spd

There have been a few carbs switched out that don't cost like the Webers, but the mileage will take a hit. I have a setup for example that used the old Pinto carb. The manifold adapter is the biggest hurdle other than the linkage. I have that, and one of the Weber adapters upstairs, but I haven't got around to trying either one yet myself.I would LOVE the Hitachi setup like BraveKozak has! I would *just have to put up* with the extra fuel for that!
    What kind of shape is your B3 in? Enough compression/vacuum/cylinder balance to allow the stepper and computer to meter the fuel correctly? These cars can run on VERY little I have found, You may not solve the problem just with the carb change. I drove Shtinky 2 winters with the next best thing to no engine pumping blowby like a freight train that ate/leaked it seemed as much oil as gas before I installed the crate engine in him.
    Do you have a way to try a "known good" carb first?
    Still,......It would be nice if that WAS all it needed.

Michael
    Have owned 9 so far
    White 89 L converted to LX "The Curmudgeon" Being a Curmudgeon right now.
    Blue 89 L converted to LX "Shtinky" FMS crate engine,cam,flywheel,hail dents
    Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!
    Red 88 L converted to LX "Rasta, Mon" Now retired
    Where did all these @#*&%$ Toyotas come from around here?

Comment

no the b3 is in extremely good shape. the car is still peppy and doesn't burn any oil or anything, but i get some hesitation (always) and very strange things happen when it is cold. i'm also getting pretty bad gas mileage as it is, so another carb probably wouldn't make much difference. i just want a carb thats not controlled by a demon infested computer :lol:.
      89 L, hopefully returning from the dead soon with a little more power... :twisted:

Comment

Like it goes full rich to the place it finally stalls out? Runs again after it sits a few minutes?
        Have owned 9 so far
        Smurf Blue 90 LX "Smurffy" He Ran Away From Home!!!!!! Says Willie loves him more than I did!

Comment

no not that bad--yet. just does wierd bucking and stuff but keeps running--for now.

Comment

Rasta does what you describe, and always has whenever Ethanol is in the fuel in a great concentration it seems. It does it at mid throttle, and acts like a bucking/missing. Started right around the time they mandated "oxegenated" fuel in our area in the winter months. It would go away magically in the spring when summer blend came out.
            Curmudgeon has the full rich I mentioned under certain conditions. I don't blame the carburator for the problems, it keeps coming back to the temp sensor, or the EGR,vacuum,etc. I have left mine alone because I just can't talk myself into the lower fuel economy the alternative has to offer.
            What kind of mileage is your getting right now?
            Have owned 9 so far

Comment

about 34-36. never seen one get that low before. i mean i know its not that bad, but it is for a festiva. :lol:
              anybody else have any comments on other carb setups?

Comment

o2 sensor fixed mine. Was doing pretty much the same thing.

Comment

has anyone run the weber 32/36 carb i've seen mentioned on here a few times?
                  oh and i replaced the o2 sensor already.
                  sorry for any confusion, but i was asking about other carb setups people have used on their festys. i appreciate the repair help though.

Comment

Working...
                  X