New carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
    From what I remember, I just transferred the throttle arm from the stock carb to the Weber and it worked fine.
    But in Dan's case, the cable needs to move over an inch and back an inch or so, hence the custom bracket. The cable itself looks like it will work fine as is.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yes!!!! Finally!
      Pics of the Running Festiva with the new (to me) Weber carb!
      It runs really quiet. Listen, and you can hear it running in the photo!

Actually, it needs some major tuning. Took her around the block to warm her up. Bogs and will buck when 1st stepped on, but then takes off like a bat out of Hades. Definitely not tuned right for my car. Got on the highway and it accellerated really well, after the initial bog down. It is very responsive.
      Seemed to do better on the primary barrel, and staying light on the secondary.
      Putting your foot into the secondary, made a lot of noise, sucking air/fuel, but did not add that much, and I noticed black smoke from the tailpipe, so it is running a rich condition.
      Sounds like a "ricer" now. Ha!
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

that looks great good job!!! lets hear some induction noise get some vids of this awesome stuff

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
        1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Induction noise! I LMAO driving it around. It sounded so...cute. Made this little ...bawaaaa...sound! Like a sheep on steroids.
          Oh yeah, guess I need service...my check engine light is on!!!! :p

<<<<<< 25 to go!
          Last edited by drddan; 09-06-2010, 12:52 AM.
          Dan

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Great to hear that it is running! Pull the three screws I showed you to look at the main jets. Also pull the plugs to check how rich/lean it's running. I like to run the primary a little lean and the secondary a little richer, for best compromise between MPG and performance. If for example the primary main jet is 140 and the secondary one is 130, swap 'em for now--as long as the plugs don't look lean. Perfect plug tip color is tan or light grey; white is lean; black is rich.

Here is a link to a Weber book I used to have. Very useful. http://www.amazon.com/Weber-Carburet.../dp/0895863774

Just remove the CEL.
            Last edited by TominMO; 09-06-2010, 05:05 AM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

check engine

Just remove the check engine light bulb from the cluster. Problem solved.

The carbed Festiva has a double vacuum advance.
              Did you hook up the vacuum advance hose to the distributor?
              If so, which of the two nipples did you plug?

Just turn the idle adjustment screw in until it idles rough. Then turn the scre out until it idles rough.
              Then turn the screw in a couple of turns until it just starts to get smooth again.
              This keeps it slightly on the rich side.
              How does no vacuum delay feel like on your neck when you blip the gas pedal?

Last edited by bravekozak; 09-06-2010, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Yes, I left the vacuum hoses to the disty in place. They were coming off of the intake vacuum ports, just under tha carb, so I didnt have to mess with those.
                I'm off to the car wash and wash the engine and adjust on the carb a little.
                Last edited by drddan; 09-06-2010, 08:59 AM.
                Dan

R.I.P.
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

frozen

Does the vacuum relay work? I have taken those fittings off the bottom of the manifold and found them to be frozen in place from corrosion. The bottom of the manifold is a terrible location, but there was no room on the top. Hook up a vacuum gauge and check to see if it sucks when pulling on the throttle. Otherwise, you might not be getting the proper vacuum advance. Use a timing light to see how much vacuum advance you are getting. Plug the vacuum lines and check how much centrifugal advance you are getting. Then, hook it up and see how much extra vacuum advance you are getting at say 3000 rpm. I believe the single chamber vacuum was only available on the Mazda 323 in 86-87. After that it went double.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 09-06-2010, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks Kozak. I will check those. I was on the the same mind track, already had gotten out the timing light! Just adjusted the Idle Mixture screw on the carb and man, what a difference that made! Idle smoothed out and the idle speed got better by adjusting the mixture screw. Doesnt bog hardly at all. Going slow at normal driving speed ..... it ran normally and no bogging. Really, really responsive carbureter!
                    Feel like doing a gas mileage run, before I get to tuning this carb, see what I get and then see what I CAN get after the tune.
                    Last edited by drddan; 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM.
                    Dan

R.I.P.
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

Yeah they are great carbs to play with. Glad it's running better already. And just getting all that useless junk outa the engine bay does wonders for morale. It is a practical illustration of govt solutions vs. individual ingenuity! The car is faster and more fuel-efficient, without all that govt-mandated BS.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Definitely has more power!
                        And here it is cleaned up and with the new breather cap installed.

Stupid camera. Not only does it not focus at close range, it fades colors. My Festy looks faded orange!
                        It is bright Red.
                        Last edited by drddan; 09-06-2010, 01:21 PM.
                        Dan

R.I.P.
                        Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!

Comment

I am definitely intrigued! Let us know what your MPG's are after awhile. I would love to lose my feedback carb. Don't mean to hijack but what can be done about AC throttle increasin'?

Comment

old Olympus

I use an old Olympus 2040Z. It's not very high resolution (3.3 Megapixels) like the new cameras, but perfect for the internet. You don't want very long load times. It has macro, panorama and is not too bad on the resolution and exposure. You'll have to spend at least $20 on the Bay.

Your engine looks good now that you cleaned it.
                            You can get rid of the EGR valve for better mileage.
                            Just put a 1/4" aluminum block off plate.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 09-06-2010, 02:25 PM.

Comment

That is a thing of beauty! I love sticking Webers on EPA-carbed cars.

Are you gonna paint or polish the valve cover? Getting it off to install a new gasket looks like it will be a little easier.
                              Last edited by TominMO; 09-06-2010, 03:37 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

best offer

Asking $75. I was thinking of offering $40. Splurged at $50 today.
                                Anyway, my B6 will have a new disty, single vacuum.

The other single action ones are ridiculously expensive.

The alternative is to just buy the single vacuum pot.
                                They are simple to change.

Note the simple screwdriver adjustment for the amount of advance.
                                Last edited by bravekozak; 09-06-2010, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X