Relabelling OEM Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relabelling OEM Switches

I thought this might come in handy for those of you who haven't been able to find OEM-looking switches for your random aftermarket uses. The OEM switches are incredibly easy to alter.

You need a razor blade (box cutter) and the smallest flat head screwdriver in the set of 10 you can buy at the Dollar Tree for a buck. Pick up a tiny tube of super glue as well.

Insert the screwdriver into the space between the clear panel and the switch like so:

As you can see, I've already removed the coating that had the (defrost) emblem with the razor.

The next steps I have no pictures for, but you'll see when I've finished mine. For now, I just set the clear panel back inside the switch:

My wife's car will get a 100w Tang Band/Kicker sub/amp combo (<$100). The switch will have a Kicker logo instead of a regular speaker symbol, insinuating that the car came stock with a Kicker system:

Find or make your emblem. Remember, the clear panel is ~1/4" square. You'll want to make your logo as small as you can to avoid pixelation if you make it yourself. Keep the paper thin, and if you can have it produced as a vinyl, that's even better (bumper sticker material is the best thickness).

This is the tricky part; super gluing the clear panel to your logo.

Drop some super glue on the logo, and press the clear panel on top.

Straighten the panel quickly if you have to, using tweezers. Let the glue dry.

Using a toothpick, run a TINY bit of super glue into the recessed area of the switch. You don't want overflow.

Cut your new printed panel out, and push it into your switch. Make sure it's the right direction! We all make mistakes.

Your switch has been relabelled.
    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Working...
X