No announcement yet.

Sway Bar-Front AND Rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What tires are you running Scott? I had a look at mine and with the 185-60-13's the nut is going to be very close to the tire. I am switching to 175-60's in the very near future though.

Thanks again for a great idea!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

im running a 165/65R13

-Scott
      Aqua 93 L
      Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
      White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

this aint really on this topic but what are LCAs?

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
          this aint really on this topic but what are LCAs?
          lower control arms / ball joints
          "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
          89L Silver EFI auto
          91GL Green Auto DD
          There ain't no rest for the wicked
          until we close our eyes for good.
          I will sleep when I die!
          I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

People who do the Capri brake swap are going to LOVE this!
            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

ok thanks haha

Comment

Looks like you used Ny-Lok nuts on the bar? A good choice I think b/c of their ability to resist working loose from vibration. I'm gonna have to give this a try!

Focustiva: Because I was told it was was impossible to fit a Focus bumper on a Festiva.
                In memory of Dean Allen - V8 Festiva 1955-2010

Comment

i thought we where keeping this a secret lol jk.... i think im gonna do this to my aspire beam and see if its even better or just to stiff lol...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                  1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

^^lol. did you want me to pick you up a bar?

-Scott
                    Aqua 93 L
                    Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                    White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

I would be concerned about boxing the rear trailing arm subframe. I'm thinking that the open 'taco' shape determines the appropriate amount of twist that the torsion beam sees. If its completely boxed in the effective spring rate might increase tremendously. to the point that you have very little rear suspension movement. i dunno, something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnie View Post
                        I would be concerned about boxing the rear trailing arm subframe. I'm thinking that the open 'taco' shape determines the appropriate amount of twist that the torsion beam sees. If its completely boxed in the effective spring rate might increase tremendously. to the point that you have very little rear suspension movement. i dunno, something to think about.
                        I was thinking about that too. There is no independant susp. so it needs to move some what to allow the wheel to move if only one hits a bump. If i hit a good bump that pushes one wheel up with the new bar in i notice the rear end will step out just a little bit. I guess now the limited movement means when one wheel goes up the other now follows. Its not dangerous right now but if a guy was to box in the taco beam i think it would be too stiff.

-Scott
                        Aqua 93 L
                        Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                        White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

Originally posted by leapin View Post
                          I was thinking about that too. There is no independant susp. so it needs to move some what to allow the wheel to move if only one hits a bump. If i hit a good bump that pushes one wheel up with the new bar in i notice the rear end will step out just a little bit. I guess now the limited movement means when one wheel goes up the other now follows. Its not dangerous right now but if a guy was to box in the taco beam i think it would be too stiff.
                          That tells the story...you want it to act like a solid axle and transfer the movement to both wheels for handling reasons, but the stiffer it is the rougher it will ride and the more it will tend to act just as you stated. I have noticed a lot of FWD autocross cars will lift the inside rear wheel off the ground when cornering hard. I assume the advantage of an actual spring steel sway bar is the progressive rate that stiffens when the force increases. I'm sure the stiffer Aspire front bar you installed also has an effect on this and the "step-out" may be worse with the stock Festiva front bar. Maybe some auto-x'ers on here that really know this stuff will help out.

I found this link a while back that has some good info.

Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

on the aspire sway bar front id like to see how it looks going over the cross member please.
                            i am going to be doing a aspire swap and want to see what it looks like. thanks

Comment

^^ give me and hour and ill get pics up

-Scott
                              Aqua 93 L
                              Razor Red 09 F-150 XLT
                              White 06 Ford Escape XLT

Comment

ok thanks man

Comment

Working...
                                X