X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walth
    replied
    Originally posted by muddevil01 View Post
    I do it now before I do struts on all my new cars plus the heat from the welder that is directed to the nut helps the bolt break loose I still haven't found a fix for the bolt being stuck in the strut though
    I have, you smother the bolts in anti-cease (auto zone $6.00 jar!) to the point when you're getting close to tight it's oozing out like a fat PB&J

I also put a liberal amount into the threads pre-install as well.

Leave a comment:

• muddevil01
    replied
    I do it now before I do struts on all my new cars plus the heat from the welder that is directed to the nut helps the bolt break loose I still haven't found a fix for the bolt being stuck in the strut though

Leave a comment:

• drddan
    replied
    ....thats actually a really good idea....

alot easier than messin' with a spinning nut that ya cant get off without inventing new cuss words!

.....'course I happen to have a welder too.
    Last edited by drddan; 10-02-2010, 02:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• muddevil01
    replied
    I'm not sure if it was harmful or not but when I changed the struts on my festy the captured nut broke loose from the beam without knowing what else to do I cut the plate off of the and put wrench on the nut and got it off but before I put the strut back in I took my trusty mig welder and welded the nut back on better than factory and I welded the plate back on it has worked for me I now weld the nut before I do struts on my new cars and I have had no problems

Leave a comment:

• bhazard
    replied
    Eh, we just pulled my whole beam out struts and all, and swapped his in with the aspire struts on it. He's gonna be aspire swapping so the broken bolts are no big deal.

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    Originally posted by xaero_81 View Post
    Ok, went for this and the head snapped right off the bolt at about...ohh....10 ft-lbs.

What now?
    ---bhazard
    I hacksawed my bolt off. Had to do it in three places, which sucked, but you should only have to do it twice; on both sides of the strut lower hole. Then pull the strut out, and maybe you can get the remaining bolt out of the captured nut in the axle.

To use the hacksaw, I had to take the blade off, then reassemble it inside the lower strut mount area. Do the side closest to the axle first; it might be all you need to do, to get the strut out.

Leave a comment:

• xaero_81
    replied
    Ok, went for this and the head snapped right off the bolt at about...ohh....10 ft-lbs.

What now?

---bhazard

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    Bolt thead pitch correction

I made a mistake in my first post in this thread. The actual thread pitch for the inner LCA bolts (and the lower rear strut bolts) is actually 10 x 1.25. The upper rear strut nuts (normal and flared) seem to be 10 x 1.5. You can either change the flare nut threads to 1.25 with a tap, or just buy another 1.25 nut (with a washer) at the hardware store or McParts store.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    Was it a Spectra or Sephia? Rios weren't made until model year 2001.

Karl

Leave a comment:

• 1988redfordfestiva
    replied
    in my last note " I bought the struts off of a 1999 or 2000 not sure its been awhile right now i have my head stuck on the body work of the car. For this weekend under the hood of the car to change the engine to FI. Then a new tank and fuel pump...

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    1988redff wrote:

"I bought my bolts and nuts from home cheapo and got KIA Rio back springs with KYB adjustable struts."

Got any pictures? I'd like to see this! I've only matched Rio front struts to my Festivas. The rears looked totally different and unusable to me. What year did you get those rear springs, or shocks/struts from? This could be a big help to people!

Also, the nuts and bolts you got: did you check their strength ratings? I'd guess grades 8.8 and up, probably more like 10.9 or so would be safe. Less than 8.8 and I'd be concerned! Here's a link to a grade ratings chart from John which he posted here earlier:

Thanks,

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 05-27-2010, 02:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1988redfordfestiva
    replied
    Originally posted by Claude View Post
    never had problems with this recently replaced both rear struts too, pb blaster and some tlc took car of it.
    I've done the same thing Pb blaster and liquid wrench and they came off.
    I bought my bolts and nuts from home cheapo and got KIA Rio back springs with KYB adjustable struts.

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    never had problems with this recently replaced both rear struts too, pb blaster and some tlc took car of it.
    Do they salt the roads where your car has been driven? You're lucky you had no problems with the captured nuts. My car has a little rust underneath, and both rear lower strut bolts were seized up bad. Still have to address the passenger-side bolt.

Leave a comment:

• Pu241
    replied
    Be thankful!
    That and sending money via paypal to me will continue your good fortune!

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X