Mounting Tires via DIY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is going to probably come off the wrong way:

why not just buy a tire machine and balancer? im into my stuff for less than 1100$ and ive paid it off doing stuff on the side during winter seasons. I've made money on it and i've had it less then a year.

even go half'sees with a friend or buddy makes things really affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
      this is going to probably come off the wrong way:

why not just buy a tire machine and balancer? im into my stuff for less than 1100$ and ive paid it off doing stuff on the side during winter seasons. I've made money on it and i've had it less then a year.

even go half'sees with a friend or buddy makes things really affordable.
      Thats not a bad idea Im going to start trolling craigslist for one.But you can get a pretty nice car for $1100...
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
        I got tired of paying the tire shops myself.
        Around here it is $80-$130 to mount and balance 4 wheels/tires, crazy.
        I started watching auctions and estate sales, I purchased an older style euro tire machine for $300 at an estate sale and picked up a brand new Ranger electronic spin balancer for $1800, this one: http://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Wheel-B.../dp/B004HL02TM . I paid for both in less than 6 months balancing tires for friends and neighbors at 1/2 of what tire shops charge.
        I took a 5 gallon bucket and a pair of weight pliers to the local wreckers and spent about 1/2 a day collecting wheel weights, paid $20 for a bucket full of weights.
        Thats a lot of tire work you got in 6 months huh? How much do you charge for a D/M/R/I with a balance & disposal? Jus curious.

Comment

All -

I appreciate everyone's comments on here. It appears the consensus is, essentially....'tough, but do-able, and may not be worth the sweat and aggravation'.

If I were to mount/balance tires often I would definitely buy a tire machine and balancer, but I don't see me having to mount a lot of tires; at most 2 sets of four over the next year or so and that would be about it. Plus, I'm eyeball deep in remodeling my home with a garage full of stuff for the home and no real room to store a tire machine and balancer. Both add up to my wife would be torqued. :nono: That's the kind of reaction a wife gives when you're still undergoing a multi-year remodeling project.

So.....guess I'll try one myself and if it sucks I'll take the rest in to be done by a tire shop.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
          Last edited by Twistiva; 12-30-2012, 05:57 PM.
          88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
          88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
          91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
          93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Mounting Tires via DIY?

Funny I just found this thread..........I just made this stuff up the other day.
            Did 4 14" and one 31/10.50/15....,piece of cake.
            ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357168347.022281.jpg
            ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357168387.821966.jpg
            ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Mounting Tires via DIY?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357168463.576828.jpg
              ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357168502.943205.jpg
              ........... With a lever long enough and a place to stand, you could move the world..........

..................Build thread.................http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29547

Comment

Mounting Tires via DIY?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357168547.341923.jpg
                ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357168563.112471.jpg

Comment

I just decided to tackle this same problem. I went a bit less DIY, but with good results so far. Mounted and demounted a 13" a few times now and that went ok. Two things I've learned are: make sure the changer is really well secured and lots of lube.

Harbor freight tire changer with a no mar mount/demount bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                    I forgot to mention I bought and tried the HF bubble balancer, but couldn't ever figure out how to use it, or if it was defective or not. Just didn't work for me. I should put it up for sale. Maybe someone else could get it to work.

Karl
                    I used one of those for a couple of years, the biggest problem is that it has to stiff of springs on it for our small tires, take off a couple of springs and it works much better, make sure you get one from each opposing side of course.
                    Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
                    1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by jemartin144 View Post
                      I just decided to tackle this same problem. I went a bit less DIY, but with good results so far. Mounted and demounted a 13" a few times now and that went ok. Two things I've learned are: make sure the changer is really well secured and lots of lube.

Harbor freight tire changer with a no mar mount/demount bar.

Do you think you could do a 195-15-45 tire?......and, if so, what did the tire changer cost you?

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                        Do you think you could do a 195-15-45 tire?......and, if so, what did the tire changer cost you?
                        That was what i used before i bought my machine and balancer,

and yes. you can. Just need alot of muscle, 2 people helps

Comment

Right now on harbor freight's site the changer is $39.00 shipped with the usual 20% off coupon code - "39415001".
                          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                            That was what i used before i bought my machine and balancer,

and yes. you can. Just need alot of muscle, 2 people helps
                            Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                            Right now on harbor freight's site the changer is $39.00 shipped with the usual 20% off coupon code - "39415001".
                            Hey, guys, thanks for the info! :-)

Comment

" Originally Posted by econoaddict:
                              I got tired of paying the tire shops myself.
                              Around here it is $80-$130 to mount and balance 4 wheels/tires, crazy.
                              I started watching auctions and estate sales, I purchased an older style euro tire machine for $300 at an estate sale and picked up a brand new Ranger electronic spin balancer for $1800, this one: http://www.amazon.com/Ranger-Wheel-B.../dp/B004HL02TM . I paid for both in less than 6 months balancing tires for friends and neighbors at 1/2 of what tire shops charge.
                              I took a 5 gallon bucket and a pair of weight pliers to the local wreckers and spent about 1/2 a day collecting wheel weights, paid $20 for a bucket full of weights.
                              Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                              Thats a lot of tire work you got in 6 months huh? How much do you charge for a D/M/R/I with a balance & disposal? Jus curious.
                              Last edited by nitrofarm; 01-10-2013, 01:59 AM.

Comment

I can change a tire on my aluminum festiva rims in about 15 minutes with two tire spoons. To take a tire off, I get the tire "half on/half off", then stand the whole assembly up and push down on the tire, kinda folding it off the rim.
                                93 festiva-Tremclad med blue,manual,no carpet,no back seat,ready for the snow!
                                96 mustang gt-burnt orange/gold with a black hood,manual,bullitt 17's,magnaflow cat-back,short throw shifter,Cai....project

Comment

Working...
                                X