X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nitrofarm
    replied
    [QUOTE=fudge;737304]tbh I'm not really stressed, just annoyed and I feel stuck especially with the rear lower strut mount bolt. Yes the upper strut mount I just used the same phrase from the guide. I want to do it myself but I am losing confidence and today is my last free day of spring break
    Fudge try getting a flat tip screw driver UNDER the bolt while someone turns the nut. Sometimes you can get lucky this way.Use a hammer to tap the screw driver.While a helper slowly turns the nut. Your trying to apply upward pressure so the nut can grab onto good threads. Otherwise cut it off-

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
    Which nut are you trying to get off? I thought you said earlier (in the post i quoted below) that you had the top ones off?

Were both talking about the lower strut mount bolt right? The metal bushing on the strut siezes to the bolt. Rubber connects it to the strut so it doesnt turn but absorbs everything from your impact gun. If you burn it off then the bushing is loose from the strut but still stuck to the bolt. The OD of the bushing is much larger than the OD of the hole the bolt needs to come out through. So when you go to loosen the bolt off the captive nut the bushing just presses against the strut bracket.
    Only possible way to still save the bolt is if you cut the strut off then put vicegrips on the bushing and somehow got it loose from the bolt like that.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    I used a Clamp to press it out.

Leave a comment:

• FestYboy
    replied
    I think it's time to address the tools and method, not the user. Post pics of what you used and did to get to the stripped nut. If you don't learn what's going wrong and correcting it, you won't be able to move forward. We're here to educate.

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
    Welp... you got lots of people here that can help you. But if your getting stressed and need to take it to a pro. Do it,nobody is going to Judge you for that(your trying). If you still want to DIY post a pic. I'm a little confused what your talking about. Sounds like the Upper Strut mount,your talking about? Thats the only thing I can think of that touching the"Body".
    tbh I'm not really stressed, just annoyed and I feel stuck especially with the rear lower strut mount bolt. Yes the upper strut mount I just used the same phrase from the guide. I want to do it myself but I am losing confidence and today is my last free day of spring break

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    Originally posted by fudge View Post
    guys I keep stripping nuts somehow. I never got the other back lower strut mount bolt off but my front parts came so I've been working on the front. I stripped one of the 14mm nuts that holds the front strut mount to the body and I just cannot seem to get it because it's a tight spot. Working on cars is stressful! I might end up taking it to a shop just to have them take the stripped nuts off...
    Welp... you got lots of people here that can help you. But if your getting stressed and need to take it to a pro. Do it,nobody is going to Judge you for that(your trying). If you still want to DIY post a pic. I'm a little confused what your talking about. Sounds like the Upper Strut mount,your talking about? Thats the only thing I can think of that touching the"Body".

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    guys I keep stripping nuts somehow. I never got the other back lower strut mount bolt off but my front parts came so I've been working on the front. I stripped one of the 14mm nuts that holds the front strut mount to the body and I just cannot seem to get it because it's a tight spot. Working on cars is stressful! I might end up taking it to a shop just to have them take the stripped nuts off...

Leave a comment:

• firebush357
    replied
    hey I got one of the back ones done! woohoo! I ended up filing the bolt head down until I could hammer on a 1/2 socket on and impact it with no mercy!!! damn deez nuts put up a hell of a fight! Can't wait to finish the other one tomorrow and then the front!!
    You might want to go ahead and soak everything in the front with some PB Blaster to make it a little easier when you get to it.

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    hey I got one of the back ones done! woohoo! I ended up filing the bolt head down until I could hammer on a 1/2 socket on and impact it with no mercy!!! damn deez nuts put up a hell of a fight! Can't wait to finish the other one tomorrow and then the front!!

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    Also not all 14mm are the same. I have 2 different brands of tools. One is always a bit tighter the the other in my case. If you have another socket try it. try a 12pt. try a 6pt. a shorty vs a deep well.

Leave a comment:

• mikemounlio
    replied
    I think i used a 14mm. I can say that you should be using a power tool on this bolt tho. A power tool will remove the bolt much easier then doing it by hand and with less risk of stripping the head or the threads.

Leave a comment:

• fudge
    replied
    does anyone know the size of the lower strut mount bolt head? I used 14 mm and 9/16 on the first one and I think those are a wee bit too big. I'm going to go check the other side now to see if they fit tightly

Leave a comment:

• Dragonhealer
    replied
    Sorry for the confusion, I thought he was still working on the upper nuts
    My apologies, I must read more carefully.
    Sawzzall is probably the best bet, then repair the captive thread after drilling out the bolt remnant.
    At the MAP gas stage, all I can offer is prayer, be safe!
    Last edited by Dragonhealer; 03-07-2017, 11:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FestYboy
    replied
    Y'all are making it more difficult than it needs to be.

The answer is heat. And lots of it.
    Remove as much of the bushing as possible, then torch the rest, that will heat up the collet and release the bolt. Quick hit with an impact and she's out. The problem with the factory unit is that it can't breathe once moisture gets in there and the tolerance is too tight without any grease to dispel the moisture.

You want MAP gas as a minimum for this, propane doesn't have the BTUs
    Last edited by FestYboy; 03-07-2017, 11:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
    My major is chemistry.
    Can you tell what I am thinking?
    HINT: It's not lubricant.
    Lol
    yes sir the lower strut mount bolt is giving me a good fight!!! I've been at it a good portion of the day... ugh. I dont want to save the bolt I want it to be destroyed after I get it off my car!!!!!! Right now its so stripped I can't even lock my vice grips onto it!!!! I tried wrench, then impact until it stripped, then nut splitter, now ive been trying the sockets that are for rounded bolts but those just seem to make it even rounder!!!! my dad suggests drilling a hole through the middle of the bolt. I'm glad my major is computer science lol
    You were trying to use it on the head of the lower bolt?
    Someone mentioned it before but What you need to do is take a sawzall on each side of the strut and cut the bolt off. Get the strut out of there and then use easy outs on whats left in the captive nut or punch that nut off and get a new nut with the bolt.
    Read this thread for bolt size, part number and where to buy. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...7&share_type=t
    Rear lower shocK bolt size...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• bravekozak
    replied
    My major is chemistry.
    Can you tell what I am thinking?
    HINT: It's not lubricant.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-07-2017, 09:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X