No announcement yet.

quick ratio steering rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just so you guys know I just trimmed the ends of the rio tie rods and the rods on the rack and got it short enough to have tow out. It's fine
    Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

^Good to know. Will be doing this. Thanks.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

ive got an australian 1998 ford festiva parts car with power steering, i was umming and ahhing about pulling the power steering kit but decided i didnt really need power steering on my 121, but ill have to go out and count the turns on the rack now.. how many turns lock to lock do your USDM Ford Aspires with power steering run?

Comment

That late model power rack is a much quicker ratio than the non power rack. You dont have to run the power to it.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

yea before the thought of power and manual steering being different ratios crossed my mind I spent all of 2 seconds deciding not to convert mine to P/S lol

running the p/s rack with no power to it do you still loose a lot of road feel/feedback through the wheel?

Comment

I would think if anything a quicker rack would give you more feedback, but I know I've run "quick" ratio power racks without assist before, and they felt fine. I've depowered every power rack I've ever had. lol
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I love my power rack thats not hooked up. It feels great! They look almost the same. Im sure they are built very close to the same as well. I like the power rack over the stock rack any day!
                1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I like them too. Feedback is better in my opinion. The Festiva manual rack feels numb and slow. That's one of the big things I notice about jumping in a Festiva (with a manual rack) after I've been driving sports cars. The quicker rack is a must have.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Amazon was offering power racks for a 97 Aspire for $144 bucks.
                    Whoa, that was fun!

Comment

ill head to the parts store and grab some new boots for my p/steer rack and fit it by this weekend.. i was reading/researching on a miata forum that some guy was whinging about free play in the valve assembly when theres no ATF pressure, but i also noticed the miata rack is a different design to ours.. has anyone noticed about 1" of free play at the wheel with the depowered p/steer

Comment

Finally got my hands on a rio rack over the weekend. Here's the updated measurements list.

................Ratio (in/rev) Throw
                        Festiva (manual) 1.310” 4.34”

Festiva (power) 1.645” 4.34”

Aspire (manual) 1.310” 4.83”

03 Kia Rio (power) 1.555” 5.28”

Looks like our quickest option is the Festiva power. The rio rack holds the inner rod ends in by "staking" the rack at the end of the threads, instead of a roll pin like the Festiva/Aspire. I don't particularly like that... anyone know if there is a trick to removing the rio ends? One of mine came out, the other is about half way out and the threads are galling so bad it feels like I'm going to break the rod end.

Also you'll loose about .4-.5" of throw if you use festiva ITRs on the rio rack because the rio ITRs have a small section that slips inside the rack bushing and the festiva ITRs will not. I think most people (with wider than stock tires) would rub at full lock with a rio rack.
                        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by robotrob View Post
                          ill head to the parts store and grab some new boots for my p/steer rack and fit it by this weekend.. i was reading/researching on a miata forum that some guy was whinging about free play in the valve assembly when theres no ATF pressure, but i also noticed the miata rack is a different design to ours.. has anyone noticed about 1" of free play at the wheel with the depowered p/steer
                          The Spec Miata guys run depowered racks all the time, no free play unless the adjustment is wrong or the rack is hosed....
                          No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                            Finally got my hands on a rio rack over the weekend. Here's the updated measurements list.

03 Kia Rio (power) 1.555” 5.28”

Looks like our quickest option is the Festiva power. The rio rack holds the inner rod ends in by "staking" the rack at the end of the threads, instead of a roll pin like the Festiva/Aspire. I don't particularly like that... anyone know if there is a trick to removing the rio ends? One of mine came out, the other is about half way out and the threads are galling so bad it feels like I'm going to break the rod end.

Also you'll loose about .4-.5" of throw if you use festiva ITRs on the rio rack because the rio ITRs have a small section that slips inside the rack bushing and the festiva ITRs will not. I think most people (with wider than stock tires) would rub at full lock with a rio rack.

Great work!
                            I remember the Rio side rods were tough, but don't remember exactly what I did, I'll look at one tomorrow to see if I can remember.
                            Don't worry about the reduced throw, the Rio rack will pull the steering arm of both the Festiva and Aspire knuckle to a straight line with the side rod.
                            Last edited by Dragonhealer; 05-31-2016, 01:37 AM.
                            No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                              The Spec Miata guys run depowered racks all the time, no free play unless the adjustment is wrong or the rack is hosed....
                              youre right i remembered incorrectly, i must have sstumbled onto a honda forum when i was buying my shortshifter... dont want to de-rail this thread too much but here is the thread i was reading: http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...teezz-way.html

and like i said, its a different construction to ours and ive been living under a rock and never actually knew you could depower them in the first place

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post

03 Kia Rio (power) 1.555” 5.28"
                                I don't think I understand these numbers...
                                Is "throw" the distance the rack slides from one lock to the other?
                                A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
                                Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Working...
                                X