No announcement yet.

Frito Festiva--Ben's '93 GL (LX Clone) Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to see Frito's story put into words! Well done achieving your original goals Ben!
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

The next step of Frito's build was preparing for my month-long, 9,000 mile Pre-Madness X road trip. I would be spending the majority of my nights sleeping in Frito so I needed space to sleep and space for essentials like tools, parts, and food. Frito has LX front seats which are great for folding down for sleeping solutions, and a rear seat delete for more cargo options. The challenge was coming up with a modular sleeping surface that made up for the difference in height from the folded down seat to the rear floor. I wanted it to be modular so I could cary a passenger if need be. I saw this cheap camping cot on Amazon (https://goo.gl/NSf1bg) and noticed it's four removable legs. I imagined that I could take off two of the legs and lay the front half of the cot over the folded front seat and that the remaining two legs would make up for the rear height difference---and I was right! I imagine this sleeping solution would also work with the stock front seats as long as there is no rear seat too:

Next was roof cargo storage. I found a vintage Sears XCargo on the side of the road for free and painted it to match Frito. Being nearly the size of Frito's roof it was definitely a cool and slightly funny look:

I added a cheap battery powered LED strip (https://goo.gl/QdIWWo) for connivence, too:

Next came privacy solutions. I wanted the ability for quick and easy window coverings so I could conceivably sleep anywhere. Front and rear windows would be covered by the traditional foldable-shade. For the side windows I chose to Plastidip the rear quarter windows (4+ coats, peeled off in one piece!) and use window socks (https://goo.gl/2RIK3G) for the door windows to allow airflow while still providing privacy.

In the upper cargo box I packed tools, spare parts, and other essentials (none of which I ended up needing other than for junkyard visits!)

In the car, I had a chest of drawers, my drone, a cooler, and other dry food storage:

Charlie once said, "The Festiva is the best tent you can buy" and I whole heartedly agree. I miss sleeping and living in it. Especially when I would have views like this out my back door:

Your can read more about my trip in the forthcoming "Frito's Grand Journey" thread.
      Ben Rogers, Admin of the
      Facebook Group

'93 Festiva GL "Frito" (Travelled in 36 US States & 4 Canadian Provinces)

'91 Festiva L "Barry Bluejeans"
      '95 Dickmeyer Aspire SE "Dortmund" (SOLD to jbibb1)
      '91 Festiva L "Fermina" (SOLD to Hulspowered)
      '93 Festiva L "Tallsmallcar" (SOLD to Stretch and Skeeters_Keeper)

Watch "It's a Festiva", my short film!

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Comment

After the trip I returned Frito to his natural form. And I nearly forgot about my sweet '79 RX-7 steering wheel and my Fourgreen OEM foglight switches. I'd say Frito's exterior mods are 98% finished but there's still much to do with the interior and suspension. It's been nearly a year and 20,000 miles with Frito. Not only is it my favorite Festiva I've owned but probably my favorite THING I've ever owned. To many many more happy miles!

Ben Rogers, Admin of the
        Facebook Group

Comment

Originally posted by ThisVelologist View Post
          there's still much to do with the interior and suspension.
          I cannot wait for those!
          Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
          Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
          Feel free to PM me anytime!
          Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
          Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

That is awesome, I plan on having something similar in the future with one of my cars. I have taken my white car on a camping trip and had plenty of room my bike, chair, tools, totes and coolers. I have seriously been thinking of making a small trailer to tow behind the Festy for sleeping purposes, maybe something with an A/C since Florida is unbearable in the summer time due to heat and mosquitoes.

Last edited by firebush357; 02-08-2017, 02:32 PM.
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
              That is awesome, I plan on having something similar in the future with one of my cars. I have taken my white car on a camping trip and had plenty of room my bike, chair, tools, totes and coolers. I have seriously been thinking of making a small trailer to tow behind the Festy for sleeping purposes, maybe something with an A/C since Florida is unbearable in the summer time due to heat and mosquitoes.

Yeah dude! That would be so sick!
              Ben Rogers, Admin of the
              Facebook Group

Comment

Congrats! Great Story.

Comment

Such a great car, and an amazing story! I can't wait to hear about the next chapter, and possibly be a part of it.
                  Last edited by Advancedynamix; 02-08-2017, 03:25 PM.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

What a thorough cargo build. Amazing photos, def the best tent! Would like to see how 2 people could fit laying down though..

Cleaan cargo car!

Comment

Originally posted by RdstrBlk View Post
                      What a thorough cargo build. Amazing photos, def the best tent! Would like to see how 2 people could fit laying down though..

Cleaan cargo car!
                      Thanks, buddy! You can fit a twin air mattress with the seats folded down that will snugly sleep two people!
                      Ben Rogers, Admin of the
                      Facebook Group

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post

Such a great car, and an amazing story! I can't wait to hear about the next chapter, and possibly be a part of it.
                        Thanks Charlie! I hope so too
                        Ben Rogers, Admin of the
                        Facebook Group

Comment

Road Trip thread is up if y'all want to see more pics!
                          Ben Rogers, Admin of the
                          Facebook Group

Comment

Looks good man I need to get me one of those fairings for my sportrack. I've got a sheet of plexiglass I thought of making my own. One of these days I'll get around to it lol.

Comment

Found a great deal for a 5 Panel Wink Rally mirror this week and finally decided to take the plunge. It's the perfect size for our cars. Simple mounting to the visor mounts. Love the 180 degrees of vision!
                              Ben Rogers, Admin of the
                              Facebook Group

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't use a five panel mirror because my Cooper lighted vanity visors would always be hitting it. I have no choice but to use a Smart mirror.
                                Last edited by bravekozak; 02-09-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X