69 T500. 80 gs1000
    15 sonic 82 cr480r

Comment

Good show old boy!
      1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
      2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

I love seeing trick little mods like this that are only noticed by those who are extremely devoted to the platform
        CURRENT. Past
        88 festiva L. 89 xr4ti
        14 foST. 89 xr4ti
        82 F100. 97 silverado
        82 GS1000. 06 h3
        82 GS750. 79 ta 6.6
        74 TC185. 89 turbo katana 600
        69 T500. 80 gs1000
        15 sonic 82 cr480r

Comment

The most important thing in rebuilding a swoopy is to replace the three rusted ball bearings with stainless balls.
          A tool is required to compress the spring

in order to remove the spring retaining clip

Last edited by bravekozak; 07-10-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
            The most important thing in rebuilding a swoopy is to replace the three rusted ball bearings with stainless balls.
            I believe the Power Folder uses a different fitment there, as that entire section is taken up by the second motor assembly.

Here is an image comparison between the two castings Brave

Last edited by w4rkry; 07-10-2018, 07:33 PM.
            Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
            Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
            Feel free to PM me anytime!
            Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
            Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Very interesting.
              What are all the wire colors for?
              Does it pivot when the ignition is turned on or shut off?
              Last edited by bravekozak; 07-10-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                Very interesting.
                What are all the wire colors for?
                Does it pivot when the ignition is turned on or shut off?
                Factory setup has them folded when a switch is pressed (at anytime).

I will be making the whole wiring post here soon, with all the great details!
                Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

I am so behind on posting the progress for V2. I have some pictures here and there, and many planned write-ups, but I just never find the motivation to type haha. So some of this stuff will be a bit more brief than I had planned, as I try to catch up to the current day.

If you see something you are interested in, or would like more details about, please ask! I would be happy to get into more depth if you would like.

At any rate, back on track!
                  Last edited by w4rkry; 01-14-2019, 12:58 PM.
                  Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Mirror Wiring

Time to show how I wired the Power Mirrors!

Spoiler alert, I haven't tested this yet! The mirrors still need Painted, and they are very hard to assemble over and over, so the testing is going to have to wait."
                    Take the following as a Beta, subject to change!

First, a look at the mirror wiring itself. Almost all Festivas are Pre-Wired from the factory for regular power-adjust mirrors, so we have 3 wires going to the door, leading back to a plug for a switch in the dash.
                    Power Folding mirrors require an extra connector and 3 additional wires per door, for the additional motor that does the folding.

The mirrors also require a special Relay that operates the folding motor.
                    Here is a few pictures of that unit.

The Folder switch has a rocker to fold them, along with the standard power adjust buttons.
                    Here it is compared to a regular Mirror switch. Note that it is physically larger, so we can't just plug it into the dash to use it (As I had originally hoped)

And here is a picture of how the 323 Switch links up to the relay, only 2 wires. (Relay on bottom, switch on top)

Now I have a relay, a switch I can't use, and a couple wiring diagrams: Some factory 323 GTR pages, and a hand drawn diagram with colors listed in Spanish that came in the box with the mirrors I bought.
                    Here are those factory Diagrams: https://imgur.com/a/SbS6cG3

And the hand drawn diagram:

Almost none of the colors listed for wires in any of the diagrams matched quite what I had, nor did I understand how the circuit operated.
                    After a ton of studying, I was told the diagrams I had mattered mostly for wire position in the plugs, and I could mostly ignore color.

The next step was figuring how I wanted to add a folder switch into the stock circuit in the Festiva. I looked over and saw that the stock switch and wiring in the Festiva should handle the Power Adjustment motors as is, without any modification! That just leaves the relay and fold switch left to add. For the sake of cleanliness, I decided to put the folder on a relay. This would make the Mirrors fold out with Key On, and retract with Key Off.

After a bunch of help from Steven Bloomfield, and electronic Festiva Mastermind, I figured a way to get a Ignition Relay to talk to the Factory Folder relay!

That meant it was time to add the door wiring and extra relays.

I ended up with:
                    3 wires to stock Mirror Harness
                    2 wires to Belt Sensor (EFI Auto Belts)
                    3 Wires to Mirror Folder
                    2 Wire for Door Speakers.

Here are the Pictures of me making the Door Harness fit into the stock location (Most mirror plugs needed extensions added in, which also meant another color change...)

This is the stock connector (Power Adjust & Latch Sensor) With the new wires (Power Fold & Speaker) running right next to it, through the stock grommets.

And a fender-less look at the door jamb, with the harness all wrapped in Tesa loom tape!

Back inside the car, it's time to do the switch and relay wiring. The dash is still out from my interior work, so it made this a lot nicer.
                    This is the wiring from the Power Fold relay, that goes out to the mirrors, and splits into the cube relay, which gets tapped into the Ignition system for Key On/Off signal.

The mirror runs are ran through the dash behind the heater system, and held in to place with a variety of wire clips.
                    The rest of the power wires are ran, and the whole thing gets wrapped.

Note the Yellow chunk of heat shrink, I added that as an identifier for Left vs Right mirror wire bundles.

While I was here, I adapted and added a Universal LED Flasher relay so I could run full LED turn signals without messing with resistors or hyperflash.

I also went ahead and bundled some of my Radio wiring runs, including the Door Speakers.
                    I added a hidden 12v car charger socket behind the dash that was Constant 12V, so I could charge with the key off. The stock Key On port is still fully functional in the stock location.
                    After wrapping all of it, I held all the relays up using the Factory relay mounts next to the ECU (I removed the annoying factory Buzzer from here as well, although it made into this picture)

I then cleaned up the stock runs with the Loom tape, and tucked it all nice and clean, ready for the painted dash!

To top it all off, I made my own Wiring Diagram for this exact car, with the colors I ended up with so I could change and diagnose things in the future if anything came up.

This is the Cube relay up top, Folder Relay below that, then the Folder Motor plugs to each side. Note that Yellow heatshrink makes it appearance here to keep the similar colored runs separate.

Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Neat

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X