Tire bead breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire bead breaking

I've been using a manual tire machine with a manual breaker since about 1978, occasionally you'll get a tire that the bead is just super stubborn. Today I a ran into one of them. In the past I've used all kinds of creative methods to break them put 4x4 on them and drove a truck up it,used a bumper and a truck for weight etc. Today I just happened to look and see I had a bare 18inch rim close by I set it over the 15 I was trying to break and saw it would push down nice on the 15inch tire. I threw a chain on the ground and a 4x4 on top of the chain fed the chain through the 15inch wheel and through the 18 inch wheel set a 2x4 on top of the 18 and a jack latched the chain over the jack as I jacked the jack up it pushed the 18 down pushing the bead off the 15. I'm sure over time I'll simplify and refine this but for now any of you trying to break down your own tires look at old rims you may have layng around. I'm thinking a 14 will probably do 12' festy wheels a 15 will probably do 13' wheels etc.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.
Working...
X