Emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions

So I recently tried doing emissions and well let’s say it came back with extremely high hydrocarbons (1000) on my 88 ford festiva. Any idea on how I could fix that?

Carb cleaning or overhaul is usually good for some improvement. Check EGR connections and vacuum hoses, if they are still are- I took it ALL off on my 88 , capped the plugs,and the car never ran better afterwards- probably not that legal in smog tests places though. (It's a 1.3 small little 4 banger, and even the specs on the EGR components only claim changes in percentages of a percent.)

The catalytic converter- which is a piece of screen door in a forward resonator- is actually DESIGNED to fill up with carbon gunk and that then allows it to accumulate further up in the exhaust chain. That may need replacing, or by-passing at least.
    Last edited by harpon; 11-08-2019, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 20elozano View Post
      So I recently tried doing emissions and well let’s say it came back with extremely high hydrocarbons (1000) on my 88 ford festiva. Any idea on how I could fix that?
      Did you drive the car to get the engine real good and hot prior to the emission test? A cold engine, especially carb'd will cause high readings like that.
      92 Festiva L with AC 5 Speed, 244,000mi and counting!
      R.I.P. Zeus, aka 77 F150 Custom Explorer 300 I6
      Go Green! Go White!

Comment

I would tune it up, and perform normal maintenance,make sure the choke is fully open even if I had to wire it fully open before going in,take it in hot and run an alcohol cut fuel.I would even be tempted to mix my own fuel before going in.Cutting regular with E85 . Take it in low on fuel so you can drive to the nearest station and top up with no alcohol fuel after the test, I've had some bad luck with alcohol and carb rubber components so I would want the alcohol in the mix for a very short period.But ethanol burns real clean.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
        X