Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Hitch

Hi group,

I've recieved a couple of recent PM's regarding the tow hitch on my 89 Festiva. I apologize here in advance for lack of pics, my camera batteries are beyond dead and in need of replacement. I've been on the road for the past couple weeks, with more to come tomorrow. I believe I can discribe the unit in enough detail that pictures wouldn't be needed to understand (here goes)

I know for sure that 90-93 Festivas have hooks hanging down from the "frame". My 89 had the attachment points, but no hooks. I just removed them from a 90-93 at the JY. They are bolted with one 14 or 17 mil bolt, then tack welded at the top. This is a very strong place to tie in a hitch. What I did was unbolt the hooks, then pound the tack welds free (once the bolt is removed, the hook will eventually bend back and forth until free). Then go to a wrecking yard (for best deal) or place that sells new hitches, the class II or III type will work, with the tongue plugs. Have the messured length with you between hooks (when attached to festiva) where the festy hooks more less line-up with the sides of the hitch bar...imagine the hooks being the bread of a sandwich, and the bar the very wide filling. Some hitch bars will have metal extenders curving up and under the bumper, to the frame of whatever car it's designed for. If you have the messurement of the distance from the hooks to below the bumper, this will also help. These will allow the hitch bar to clear the festiva bumper, essentially resting right below the bumper when attached. From here, you weld, brace and more/less fabricate the attachment of the hitch bar to the festiva hooks, then bolt the hooks back and retack the top to the frame (cleaning the surfaces of course)

The only improvement I would add if redesigning mine is having the hitch bar weld or bolt to the bottom of the festiva bumper for even more stoutness. The bumper cover would have to cut some on the bottom to expose the metal.

The PM's had some urgency to them, hence this thread without pics. As soon as I get picture capabilities again, I'll add them (if there's still interest)

One last thing I'll add. I believe it was an advantage that my 89 is a work horse, and could care less how it looks. This gave me free range to focus on utility instead of looks. I do think this hitch set-up can be made to look good, and almost invisible if enough time is put into it. Painting it up to stave off rust before attaching is also a good idea.

Brenton
    Because....45 MPG.
Working...
X