Ignition system upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition system upgrade

After getting all the parts for a complete tune up and over haul of the ignition system, minus the plug wires, I decided to go ahead and put them on, figuring my existing wires would suffice til new ones arrived. My wires looked pretty good til I started pulling them off. (looked pretty new)
    Lo and behold, when I pulled the dist. cap boots off, 2 of 'em were just filled with green corrosion, as were 2 boots off the spark plug side. The coil wire boot on dist side was to big or had expanded and was floppy loose! But that terminal was clean and bright. Go figure.
    Cheap Mcparts wires! Fixed 'em up best I could: Scotch brighted corrosion off, filled loose boots with di-electric grease. Cant wait for the Taylor Cable Wires to arrive!
    List so far: New Mallory chrome and RED top 51,000 volt coil, new Bosch dist cap and rotor, NGK plugs, indexed and gapped to .048, air filter, pcv valve.
    This is going to be one sick engine bay when the wires are on.

Moral of this story: Good wires are a MUST! Dont cut any corners trying to save on cost of wires. (BTW.The boots on Taylor wires are silicone, not rubber like most brands) I found a set on eBay. universal 4cyl. $40!
    Last edited by drddan; 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647
Working...
X