Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the bolt on the bottom of the manual tranny at the far driver's end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Hampton
    replied
    Oh, it is. The yellowish looking stuff just above the bolt is the epoxy I tried.

Leave a comment:

• getnpsi
    replied
    Hopefully its not a crack that is causing the leak, but epoxy will help that issue lets hope. Never understood why so many people never treated these cars like cars

Leave a comment:

• Larry Hampton
    replied
    I don't know what they thought it was, I said it looks like a drain plug, sizewise. Someone overtightened it. I assume the only reason to remove it would be to R&R the trans, it has no preset on it, right?

I'm wondering if I can get it all cleaned off, I can just epoxy the whole thing in place, bolt and all.

Leave a comment:

• boydg1
    replied
    .... Why in the world would they think that was a drain plug, that high up from the bottom of the transmission? Somebody is just NOT paying attention.

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
    Where the red drip is. Like I said, it's at the very end..... and big. (so is the puddle it's leaving, I'll need to change the car's name from Thing 1 to Spot)

Leave a comment:

• Occhty
    replied
    It is a detent for one of the shift forks shafts.

Leave a comment:

• Larry Hampton
    replied
    Where the red drip is. Like I said, it's at the very end..... and big. (so is the puddle it's leaving, I'll need to change the car's name from Thing 1 to Spot)

Leave a comment:

• boydg1
    replied
    .... Can you show a pic or two?

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
    No, it's big, looks like a drain plug (19mm?), but it's not a regular bolt, it looks fully machined. The inside of the shank is drilled out and there is a thick spring inside that holds a ball up in the tranny. It's at the very end of the trans, but doesn't face straight down, it's cocked a little forward.

Leave a comment:

• Larry Hampton
    replied
    No, it's big, looks like a drain plug (19mm?), but it's not a regular bolt, it looks fully machined. The inside of the shank is drilled out and there is a thick spring inside that holds a ball up in the tranny. It's at the very end of the trans, but doesn't face straight down, it's cocked a little forward.

Leave a comment:

• fastivaB6TG25MR
    replied
    the little 12mm bolt? pics?

Leave a comment:

• what is the bolt on the bottom of the manual tranny at the far driver's end?

It has a spring and a ball in there. I'm thinking its a detent? Some PO overtightened it on my red car and broke the outer part off. They epoxied it back on, but it still leaked. I originally thought it was just cracked until I went to fix it. JB Weld didn't work, I used some of that epoxy that you knead like dough. It leaks worse than before. Ideally, I'd get it TIG'd, but......
Working...
X