Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint oxidation causes doors to freeze shut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint oxidation causes doors to freeze shut?

I decided to post this as a separate thread; as the first one had diverged by the time I thought of this and posted at the end of the original thread yesterday.

The idea hit me as I inventoried the various products available here; wondering if any would help, with the problem of the doors on the Festiva freezing shut.

If the paint has oxidized where the door gasket rests, then this would provide a larger surface area for ice to freeze to; is my theory at least. So, getting the painted surface slick and free of oxidation; might have the desired effect of keeping the doors from freezing shut? Since this involves the least risk of making anything like the rubber decompose, something to do first and see if there is a good effect. Also a process which will cost little; as I have something to try for this, on hand already.

Below is my list of things which could also feasibly be used: So I think I'll give the Sterling's a try first; since always a good hand cleaner, which someone a bicycle mechanic gave me a few plastic pots of in '95 I'd been helping in his Berkeley shops. Lots of things could probably be used instead; which would have the slight abrasive and a cleansing effect, like say Boraxo: Though there are plenty of specific products to deal with paint oxidation, too. Even a very fine wet/dry sandpaper could be effective; I've plenty of old bitty pieces of.

The idea of waxing the painted surface also seems worth a try, particularly once cleansed; and I have some very old car wax, which is still good and also is supposed to deoxidize-if I can find that now.

The idea of using lubricants is less attractive since always some sort of a mess, as well as feasibly bad for the rubber gasket; though if the cleaning and waxing of the painted surface isn't enough I'll start to experiment.

This could be the last time once the temperature warms up enough to fool around here, that there will be long and/or severe freezes this winter; though probably I'll have a good chance before spring to see if the first experiments do any good.

Sterling's INSTANT MAGIC
    AUTO seats, carpets, w/w tires, door panels, headliners, chrome, convertible tops; Removes bugs, greasy films and oxidation from auto paint finish.

NAPA Special Formula Carb, Choke & Throttle Body Cleaner. Contains: d-Limonene, Isopropyl Alcohol, Acetone, N-Methyl Pyrrolidone

NAPA 5-56 765-1360
    "...leaves thin, non-messy, transparent film that actually lifts water and moisture from metal surfaces..." SPORTSMEN USES "...Snow & Water Skis..." "...safe to use around paint, rubber and bright metal surfaces..."

NAPA product; label faded to obscurity due to red lettering throughout, while much of the rest is still intact since black inked; including this list of ingredients, unusually... "...Mineral Spirits, Kerosene, 2-Butoxyethanol, Aiiphatic Hydrocarbon Mixture, Corrosion Inhibitor, Propane, Isobutane, n-Butane. Aerosol spray can contains ball for agitating mixture by shaking.

ACE LUBE-E SUPER LUBRICANT/PENETRANT; nine & eleven ounce cans "...harmless to leather, rubber or paint..."

LPS 3 Heavy-Duty Rust Inhibitor
    Soft Waxy Film, Stops Rust & Corrosion, Heavy-Duty Protective Coating, Up To Two Years Protection "...safe to use on fabric, plastic, rubber, paint and other finishes..." "Alphatic hydrocarbon, Petrolium oil, Dipropylene glycol monomethyl ether

PYROIL Penetrating OIL: Kerosene, 2-Butoxyethanol, Petroleum Oil
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...
Working...
X