No announcement yet.

How many miles on your original Motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW the B6 maintains the same legendary durability as the B3. Same block.
    youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
      No offense, those are "reasons" but those seem to be mostly "opinions", meaning you though you are stating facts, like more valves per cylinder, what is the benefit of your reason(s). Even the more horsepower/torque has a downside, doesn't it? I mean, the bigger engine you run the more your gas mileage tends to drop.

Without a doubt, anyone who wants more power should do the upgrade but if you're looking for reliability and the best gas mileage, to me, I'd think sticking with the B3 is the way to go.
      EDIT: What Paul said. They aren't the top ten reasons, they're my top ten reasons.
      Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 05-17-2013, 05:25 PM.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyjd View Post
        thanks for the clarification. The b3 seems like a good engine to me. I probably won't replace it unnecessarily, but it's good to know that there are other viable/perhaps better options.
        I'd highly recommend sticking with your factory engine unless you feel a power increase offsets the time, effort, and money it takes to swap engines. Some people reach that breaking point quicker than others. I lasted three years with my B3.

It wasn't anybody's build or car that persuaded me to do the swap, but actually the Rocky Mountains. With a single passenger and perhaps 100lbs of gear in the back, my all-stock B3 really struggled to make it through the mountain passes. There were times on a full-speed open-road highway when I had to downshift into second gear to keep my speeds up. That was the breaking point for me: Westiva 2010.

If you're curious to see just how well your car is performing, have your compression tested and do a leak-down test as well while you're in there. Mind you, at 56.8mpg average... I suspect your engine is in tip-top shape. I know your driving habits certainly are. I highly recommend keeping it that way as long as possible!
        Last edited by Aaronbrook37; 05-17-2013, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
          343,xxx and still going?

Holy crap!

Mine is about 187,xxx and going so your numbers give me encouragement!
          This is my 1988 Ford Festiva.I bought the car new so all the miles are mine.It tripped 500,000 miles on August 15, 2007.
          youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
            Agreed with you, bud. Had he not quoted me when he said it, I'd have listed those three reasons instead of my ten.
            Heh, yeah.. sorry for quoting you so quickly. :p
            White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
            White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
            1988 LX 5-speed
            ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
              Heh, yeah.. sorry for quoting you so quickly. :p
              Wasn't directed at you, Spike haha. But yes I agree with you also! Hard to say what my significant other thinks of the Festiva. Initially, when she saw it, it was super cute and convenient... then I dumped the clutch and hit boost...

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                I'd highly recommend sticking with your factory engine unless you feel a power increase offsets the time, effort, and money it takes to swap engines. Some people reach that breaking point quicker than others. I lasted three years with my B3.

It wasn't anybody's build or car that persuaded me to do the swap, but actually the Rocky Mountains. With a single passenger and perhaps 100lbs of gear in the back, my all-stock B3 really struggled to make it through the mountain passes. There were times on a full-speed open-road highway when I had to downshift into second gear to keep my speeds up. That was the breaking point for me: Westiva 2010.

If you're curious to see just how well your car is performing, have your compression tested and do a leak-down test as well while you're in there. Mind you, at 56.8mpg average... I suspect your engine is in tip-top shape. I know your driving habits certainly are. I highly recommend keeping it that way as long as possible!
                I could definitely see how it would be nice to have the power in the mountains. My engine's compression is actually starting to weaken a little bit, so I might have an engine swap coming at some point in The not so distant future. I have a b3 out of an automatic that has just 73,000 miles on it so I was planning to use that when the time came. The b6 swap is intriguing though. Is there a list of cars that those engine were put in? I have a long time before I'll need it, so I might be able to find a really good deal if I keep my eyes open for one in the meantime.
                My Fuel Log

See post #10 for my tips on fuel economy

Comment

Oops. Double post.
                  Last edited by mikeyjd; 05-19-2013, 07:42 PM.
                  My Fuel Log

Comment

323, tracer. Dig around in the engine swaps subforum. And here is the B series Wikipedia.

Comment

my festy has 162k or so, but the transmission is in awful shape (previous owner was a teenager who didn't even realize that it had a fifth gear [gear is stripped])
                      1994 Honda Accord LX, 5spd

1992 Festy GL, 5spd (she be broken :/)

Comment

Originally posted by kayweb View Post
                        my festy has 162k or so, but the transmission is in awful shape (previous owner was a teenager who didn't even realize that it had a fifth gear [gear is stripped])
                        Awe that's to bad..
                        My Fuel Log

Comment

No original motor here, the original motor gave up the ghost before I bought the car, I am guessing it was around 300k miles when it gave up. Owner then dropped in a motor with 132K from an 89' (either from an auto, or a carby using the old bits off the dead motor to keep FI)

But the 5-speed is still original, so that has well over 300k miles on it. Whether or not the clutch is original is beyond me. I am willing to bet it is not, since the biting point is pretty low on the pedal.
                          1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                          2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                          1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                            No original motor here, the original motor gave up the ghost before I bought the car, I am guessing it was around 300k miles when it gave up. Owner then dropped in a motor with 132K from an 89' (either from an auto, or a carby using the old bits off the dead motor to keep FI)

But the 5-speed is still original, so that has well over 300k miles on it. Whether or not the clutch is original is beyond me. I am willing to bet it is not, since the biting point is pretty low on the pedal.
                            very solid.
                            My Fuel Log

Comment

i had 216,000 when i got it and drove it till 226 then swapped to the b6 and sold the motor and is still running from what i know
                              -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                              -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
                                @ fm5 my 88lx had 429k still getting 37mpg on the hwy & original clutch, it did sound like a diesel though & i entered the high mileage contest & got 2nd place, the festy that won had over 600k!!!! was that scitzz that won that?
                                HOLY JOKE!
                                -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                                -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Working...
                                X