Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stilko toilet paper oil filters; an update on availability...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stilko toilet paper oil filters; an update on availability...

I was looking out of curiosity, to see my posts in the Bob is the Oil Guy website; about Stilko toilet paper oil filters. A dialogue from 2005...

There, I noticed someone in Las Vegas posted about three years ago; they have 50 Stilkos for sale.

So, anyone interested, which I heartily recommend; here is perhaps still a chance at one of these marvels. [http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...er#Post1938129

By the way, in the discussion; I believe someone is in error, talking about filtration to 100 microns?

I have the product information brochure from the company, buried somewhere of the moment impossible to find; though think if I'm not mistaken the filtration was for particles about three times as large? Quite a bit smaller than the standard disposable spin-on, for sure; though hardly enough to filter out soluble oil additives.

I'm not really up on microns off the top of my head anyway; so am flinging this at wiser brains, imagining they'll see through my limited knowledge-as well as feasible technical data errors.
    Last edited by bobstad; 12-07-2013, 03:18 PM.
    '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

never heard of TP filters, but am intrigued.

Wouldn't count on that guy having any left, its a pretty old post, and he looks like a pretty hardcore ebay seller. Lots of feedback in 2010 for sales of Stilkos, I imagine he would have sold all he had by now. There are a few other sellers that have some though.

So, I am curious, with these being a spin on, they are going to have higher pressures and no anti drainback valves, than say using a frantz that you use in conjunction with your spin on filter?
    Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
    89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

Buying one of these seems like a case of false economy. Sure you can put TP in them, which is waaay cheaper than an actual good filter, but what quality filter do you then have? What will be the condition of your motor when it hits 100K miles vs. using good filters for all that time? This seems like the kind of solution someone came up with during the Depression for people who can't afford to do things right.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Well, it seems like a denser filter medium, supposedly being more effective than a cartridge filter (makes sense, you have LOTS of filter medium to go through as opposed to a sheet of pleated paper) They were not developed to be cheaper, they were developed for people to use in hot rods who wanted additional filtering. I want to see oil analysis results though.
        Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
        89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

They are VASTLY superior to the traditional spin-on filter we use. Diesels run these lots of times, and I know of one guy who ran an ungodly oil change interval, had the oil analyzed, and it came back still just fine to keep using. Ungodly as in like 100k IIRC. I'll have to search for it later.

They are da bomb.

Here.

Go down the page a ways.
          Last edited by sketchman; 12-07-2013, 08:47 PM.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
            They are VASTLY superior to the traditional spin-on filter we use. Diesels run these lots of times, and I know of one guy who ran an ungodly oil change interval, had the oil analyzed, and it came back still just fine to keep using. Ungodly as in like 100k IIRC. I'll have to search for it later.

They are da bomb.

Here.

Go down the page a ways.
            The fellow near San Diego Niel Wagoneer whose last name's spelling I'm likely perhaps butchering, who has sold me necessary parts to change my Stilko from fitting a Chevy V-8 to fitting the Festiva, as well as a handy Stilko brand wrench for disassembling the filter I otherwise need a fourteen inch Crescent wrench for; is someone a Stilko and Franz dealer, I remember say six or seven years ago, commenting then he was seventy-two years old.

As if to say, I might not always have easy access; to what have been his attentive, most kindly services.

He has had Stilko filters in his car and an Asian pickup since the early '60s, only replaces the toilet paper element and never changes the oil, while of course adding the amount lost when changing the toilet paper-he recommends doing every 3000 miles; who says his vehicles both are in excellent condition.

I've seen claims of million mile motors; which would be for far lower tolerance designs of the fifties and sixties: When a hundred thousand miles was ball park longevity, or not much more-of the average sort of maintenance, most people not gearheads, typically did.
            Last edited by bobstad; 12-07-2013, 09:49 PM.
            '91 Festiva L/'73 Windsor Carrera Sport custom

(aka "Jazz Bobstad," "The BobWhan," etc.)

Art is the means whereby(a) society advances: Religion is the definition of the parameters of art. Poetry is the actualization of these...

Comment

There are some on eBay right now. Here's a nice one.

I want to build one that will take a full roll of TP, but I haven't started it yet. One of those down the road idea type projects.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

So is there an adaptor kit for these to covert these filters to a screw type? Or is it a case of day?

sent from the depths of hell.
                Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                Highway - 7.32L/100km
                City - yet to be determined.

Comment

Mecca oil filters are also full filter.

Comment

I think this toilet paper filter idea is a good thing.

Avg Economy:
                    Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

The one I linked is meant to replace a spin-on directly, but I wouldn't personally use one that way. There's a reason the spin-ons don't filter like the TP filters. There's like a bazillion more filtering material in a TP roll vs. the spin-on AND I don't know how much more restriction, but definitely much more. They are better used as a bypass filter IMO.

I would go as far as to eliminate the spin-on completely and just use the bypass, but you'd need to work up your own setup for that. Probably could make one from a filter relocation kit or a hacked up spin-on filter body.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                        The one I linked is meant to replace a spin-on directly, but I wouldn't personally use one that way. There's a reason the spin-ons don't filter like the TP filters. There's like a bazillion more filtering material in a TP roll vs. the spin-on AND I don't know how much more restriction, but definitely much more. They are better used as a bypass filter IMO.

I would go as far as to eliminate the spin-on completely and just use the bypass, but you'd need to work up your own setup for that. Probably could make one from a filter relocation kit or a hacked up spin-on filter body.
                        Just read the cummins article and agree on using it as a bypass, not as the only filter. Intriguing idea here.
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Would it go before or after the screw on filter?

The reason I put this out there is for a few reasons.

One, if it was put in prior to the main filter, it could have the potential to have the suction to pull oil through the filter (pressure assisted filter)

Avg Economy:
                          Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

I wish there was more of a market for these. Would be a fun part to make & machine. Probably best to make them a remote mount deal with already available remote adapters
                            1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                            High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                            Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Do it! If you could make a kit with an oberg style filter as the main filter to replace the spin-on and a bypass canister that took a full TP roll of the cheapest most tightly packed stuff available you might have a good run on eBay.

Both the obergs and the available bypass setups seem completely stupidly priced(to my machining ignorant mind ) right up there with turbo FPRs. Such simple parts that cost so much.

What would you estimate you'd have to charge for something like that? Just the hardware. The remote mount kits are already pretty easy to get.

I just think about my oil "change" going from about $20-$25 to about $4 and not draining the oil for 100k, and it makes perfect sense to me.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Working...
                              X