Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size/brand/type 14's are you running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size/brand/type 14's are you running?

Ive talked to a couple tire shops, and looked online for different 14's compared a bunch and still don't know what I want.

So what size 14's do you have on your car?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

185/60/14
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

165/60/14. Wouldn't do it again. Too hard to get if you have a flat or even just trying to get the same tire again if you only need 2 of them, which I do now.

If I were going big wheels again I'd just go ahead and go to the wall (for my tastes anyway) and do 15s with super-low profiles.

But I've decided light 13s are still the way to go on a DD for now. You can still get them locally, and they are still cheap.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I want to run the miata stock rims. What size do those hold

Comment

14s for Miatas.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

185/60 and 185/65 14 are NOT rare. They're actually "the" generic size for small 14" tires. Firestone has a tire in 60 series for around 70$.... but it's a generic all season tire.

I'm looking for something decent, not a crappy all season that will last forever but never grip.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Matt, I'll be running Kumho 185/60-14s on Miata solid spokes (painted sparkly blue) when I switch to '05 Rio front knuckles.

I think going with a common, stock size like that is best, but if you were to go to an odd size (like my current 175/60-13s), then buy six of them to begin with. That way you'll have two spares. And I needed them! Got two flat tires a year or two ago, within a couple months. I now have those two plugged up as spares. On a long trip, throw one bare spare tire in back so you'll have both a donut and a replacement tire in case the one you damage can't be fixed.

But going with a common size is probably less trouble and expense.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I run General HP Max in 195/60/14. Directional tire kicks butt in rain and does well in snow too. Tough tire!
                Last edited by drddan; 09-03-2014, 12:15 PM.
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Stock suspension dan? I've always liked the way the tires in that pic in your sig fill in the wheel wells. That's what I was going for with my last tires on the festy but with a slightly lifted suspension.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

185/60/14 Falken sincere touring tire there an all season that wear like concrete (720) wear rate. Do pretty good in the snow got me around last year with 20,000 on them they now have about 50 and still have about 20% left.
                    Only Thing I Don't like is they hydro plane worse than some.
                    But I do have bad struts and probably could use ball joints.

Don't get me wrong there no snow tire but I felt safe last winter with them . And you guy know what last year was like. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                      Stock suspension dan? I've always liked the way the tires in that pic in your sig fill in the wheel wells. That's what I was going for with my last tires on the festy but with a slightly lifted suspension.
                      Aspire struts, uncut Aspire springs, and a 20 offset rim. Makes 'em stick out a little, and why I needed the Aspire stuff!

And thanks! I like 'em too! :mrgreen:
                      Last edited by drddan; 09-03-2014, 12:29 PM.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I have Bridgestone potenzas 165 65 r14. Less than 80 a tire. I like them a lot
                        91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                        06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                        95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                          185/60 and 185/65 14 are NOT rare. They're actually "the" generic size for small 14" tires. Firestone has a tire in 60 series for around 70$.... but it's a generic all season tire.

I'm looking for something decent, not a crappy all season that will last forever but never grip.
                          They're also bigger than stock, which was what I was keeping in mind. So, yes, you can go up sizes and find them just fine. True.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                            They're also bigger than stock, which was what I was keeping in mind. So, yes, you can go up sizes and find them just fine. True.
                            Mine are a tiny bit bigger than stock. It will scrub a tiny bit if I turn and hit a bump.
                            91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                            06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

Yeah, 165/65 is hardly anything. 185/60 and bigger is quite a difference. Some people don't mind though. I know.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Working...
                              X