Some potentially dumb questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some potentially dumb questions...

Ok, guys, don't make too much fun of me for asking these - we all have to learn somehow:

1.) How do you tell if the clutch slips? I think mine does but since I only drive one car I really can't tell. It doesn't go 20 mph at 4500 rpms in 3rd, but it seems the engine speed increases a lot faster than the car's.

2.) Does incorrect timing (knocking valves) harm anything except performance?

3.) How do you read the oil dipstick? There's no clear line of oil on it and I don't want to be misinterpreting and sealing the engine's fate.

4.) Should you ever shift into 1st when the car is moving, like 3-5 mph?

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Question number 1. I would say that you definitely have a clutch, or transmission problem if you are only doing 20 in third gear. When the clutch went out in mine a few years ago, that's how I drove it to the shop. 25 mph in 4th gear.

Question number 3. If there is no clear line of oil. Pull the stick out, wipe it off, reinsert it. If there is still no line of oil, then you are damn near out, which may explain question number 2 as well.

Question number 4. It may be a matter of personal preference, but I don't like to go into first gear unless I am at a dead stop. Don't know if it's harmful, but I just try to avoid it. Just my thoughts.

BTW, I haven't forgotten you Tim, I'm gonna try to make a run to the Festiva Graveyard this week. Been having a problem catching the guy home. He will let me in the yard when he is not around, but his dogs are not as forgiving. :lol:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

The 20 mph in 3rd was just an example. Sorry for the confusion.. It'll go a lot faster in 3rd but it seems the engine speed raises a lot faster than the wheel speed.

On that note, are there any specs that tell what your RPMS should be at certain speeds in certain gears if everything works?

I burned up my friend's Mustang's clutch and the thing would redline before you get to 10 mph in 1st. You could really tell then, when the engine was screaming but my Festiva had better acceleration!

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Re: Some potentially dumb questions...

Originally posted by Tim
        Ok, guys, don't make too much fun of me for asking these - we all have to learn somehow:

2.) Does incorrect timing (knocking valves) harm anything except performance?

Regards,

Tim
        what do you mean knocking valves? please expand this thought.

Comment

For the record, I have trouble interpreting the oil level on my '93GL as well, at least until the oil gets dirtier. Even then, some oil seems to get above the full mark but in an incomplete manner. There simply is no defined "oil line" like on other cars I've had. This is just after an oil change in which I've put at least 3.5 quarts in, so we're not talking about an almost empty pan.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Re: Some potentially dumb questions...

Originally posted by mechanicaldj

what do you mean knocking valves? please expand this thought.
            When you upshift and the valves rattle while the engine picks up speed, eventually leveling out and driving normally. I drove it with the ignition timing off for a while and the engine would do this when I shifted and gave it a lot of gas.

Regards,

Tim
            White '89L auto - Sold!
            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim
              On that note, are there any specs that tell what your RPMS should be at certain speeds in certain gears if everything works?

I burned up my friend's Mustang's clutch and the thing would redline before you get to 10 mph in 1st. You could really tell then, when the engine was screaming but my Festiva had better acceleration!

Regards,

Tim
              To sympathise with you Tim, I've burned the clutch on my Altima after 2 yrs of use :x , and this after driving a stick VW for close to 10 yrs. The Altima was an hydraulic clutch (as is my '05 Corolla) while the Festiva and VW are cable clutches, +100K, no problem.

If anyone can enlighten me as to what I am potentially doing wrong I'd appreciate it, I don't want to burn the clutch on my new baby! btw, the Nissan people said it may have been because I had a pant saver rubber car mat underneath the clutch pedal and the clutch was never fully depressed. I think that's bull.

I don't think there are any specs that tell you at what speed (MPH or RPM) you should be at for each speed. Just go by ear!

ps. :?: Did the spelling cow dissapear, I hope someone is teaching that cow how to spell
              I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

if you bother to read the owners manual, it will tell you the speeds you should be at in each gear.

Comment

Originally posted by CryptokiD
                  if you bother to read the owners manual, it will tell you the speeds you should be at in each gear.
                  I think Tim is lucky to have a glovebox, much less an owners manual. Maybe you could quote the information to him, assuming YOU have a manual.
                  Ex Nemo Non Feces

Comment

Tim, consulted my owner's manual and my Haynes Repair manual. Nothing on RPMs in specific gears. All I have is Idle speed and the speed that the vehicle is traveling when you should shift. Don't know if these will help or not?

From 88 owners manual:
                    1st to 2nd =16mph
                    2nd to 3rd =27 mph
                    3rd to 4th =36mph
                    4th to 5th (if applicable0 =54mph

From Haynes:

Manual Transmission= 680 to720 rpm
                    Automatic Transmission= 830 to 870 rpm

Don't know if any of this helps, but that is all the rpm info in the owners manual. :?:

Dumb thieves go to prison, smart ones go to work for the Government.

1988 L - 232K miles Batstiva
                    1989 L - 247K miles Slick
                    1990 L - 281K miles Orphan Annie
                    Let the hoarding begin!! :mrgreen:

Comment

Thanks!

My car didn't come with any documentation other than the title and 10 years' worth of service information. As a result I don't have the owner's manual, nor have I ever laid eyes on one.

I appreciate the speeds at which you shift - I usually followed the shift light but I got thrown off when I converted to a tach cluster.

A new clutch is worth more than this car, so as long as the wheels move I'm going to drive it.

On that note, does anyone have an extra owner's manual for '88 or '89?

I think I have a 1990 one and a ton of other literature that usually got tossed out when the car was bought somewhere that I'd be glad to trade.

Regards,

Tim
                      White '89L auto - Sold!
                      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

stupid question new to festivas

what is our wheel size? 4 lug dimensions?
                        1989 B6T Festiva...... it is a constant work in progress.

Comment

and the cow's back...

Comment

Moo.
                            White '89L auto - Sold!
                            Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
                            X