Voltage drop somewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage drop somewhere

My '89 LX sometimes will click a few times when I turn the key, then it will start. Also the windshield wipers run slow. Battery and terminals are new, starter is new. If I check the voltage on the starter solenoid when this is going on it is low- like 6 to 8 volts. I have cleaned the ignition switch, replaced it with a used one, and believe it or not, found a brand new one on ebay. I don't think it is the ignition switch. It affects the starter, the windshield wipers, and the radio loses it's settings when it happens. if I connect a wire to the positive on the battery and touch the starter solenoid it will start every time. I took out the fuse box and it looks fine. Fusible links are the cartridge fuse type. Seems like an intermittent connection somewhere. Any ideas would be appreciated as I am stumped!

Have not had that problem but if starter is sometimes getting power and sometimes not then problem may be in connection between battery and starter. Haynes manual suggests checking terminals and wiggling wires. If the radio is invovled maybe it could br turned on while wiggling wires in engine compartment and listen for static. Could possibly double check by turning lights on and wiggling same supect wire.

Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

I did a search of the Internet on "starter clicks won't turn over" and got a lot of hits. This was at the top of the list
        https://www.carparts.com/blog/starte...-crank-engine/

Comment

This was a common problem on VWs,so common an aftermarket fix was brewed up by Bosch. The fix was add a starter relay between the battery and the solenoid. That was the Bosch way I think I can even remember the number I think it was WR1. The real fix was a new positive cable new negative cable and a ground strap from 1 end of the negative cable to the transmission body. You need to be sure the negative cable grounds the body and the transmission.
          30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

The Starter Solenoid has a plunger inside with a copper contact that allows the voltage across. Sometime the contacts can get dirty or corroded and cause dead spots. Every time you click the key forwar the plunger rotates slightly and eventually it will find a clean enough spot to let the current across the contacts. You should be able to take them apart and clean them I believe.
            "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
            "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
            "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
            "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
            https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
            X