Steering Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack

I'm starting a new thread about Festiva Steering Racks.
    I have posted about racks in several other thread but it really is hard to find things in this forum as a result of they way it so unorganized... and I have contribute to that disorganization a lot myself.

I see great potential for AI to be used to gather information from forums like ours and organize the information to make it easier to access and weed out the invalid and obviously bad information. Perhaps it is already in the works.

Anyway to my point...
    I'm getting my 89 in shape to hand over to my grandson next summer.
    The right axle was clicking while making sharp turns and I knew it needed to be replaced. I remove it and also found out the the bushing in steering rack was gone as well. The rack is the aluminum one. Since this 89 has only 109k original miles on her I though it would have the original rack (which I though would have been steel).
    Anyone know if the 89 automatic came with the aluminum rack installed new? I know the automatic 89 was sort of a hybrid.
    Long story short.. I gave away my last good aluminum rack earlier this year but still have a good steel rack which I specifically kept for this eventuality.
    Instead of replacing the rack though, Im going to try to replace the bushing with the rack still on the car. The original bushing are no longer available but I bought one of the Australian bushings (blue). It will arrive later next week.
    My question .. has anyone already attempted this? If so.. how did it work out?
    I bought an inner tie rod removal tool today at harbor freight only to discover that it did not have a 24 mm crowfoot adapter... I cannot remove the pin since it is on the back side and I cannot get to it. I have read that I can just apply a lot of force and bin will sheer. Is that true? Can I damage the pinion gear by using a pipe wrench to break it loose?

Comments?
Working...
X