Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

no spark....new distributer, coil, battery....???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no spark....new distributer, coil, battery....???

hey guys i am having trouble getting any spark on my festy...i bought a new coil, and a new distributer (with ignition module) new cap and rotor, new plug wires....and still no spark. the engine cranks fine and I'm getting plenty of gas, but no spark. any suggestions greatly appreciated! I'm running outta ideas
    Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
    1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
    1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
    2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Have you checked the fusible links?

Ian
    92 GL Sport
    Calgary
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Make sure you installed the coil correctly. The coil has a "+" terminal and a "-" terminal just like a battery. The wires coming from the distributor go on the "-" side of the coil. Take the distributor cap off and turn the engine over with the starter and make sure the distributor rotor is turning. If these things are right and it still doesn't start, get a voltage meter and check the voltage at the coil by placing one probe on the "+" terminal of the coil and the other on the negative battery post. Have someone turn the ignition to "on" and see if your meter registers about 12 volts. Then turn the ignition to the start position and see if you still have 12 volts. If it still won't start post back here and we can go farther.
      John
      You gonna race that thing?
      http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

oh i figured it out. i feel like a moron, but i forgot to tighten down the white wire on the alternator when i put the engine in. duh...bonehead move #1 for me. too cold to fiddle around with it anymore tonight, gonna try starting it again in the morning.....it's almost there though, had some bad gas in it and got that all out and some fresh go juice in it so with any luck it'll be on the road before lunch tomorrow....the white rocket will ride again!
        Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
        1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
        1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
        2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Working...
        X