loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss of power

I have a 92 ford festiva automatic and I am having a loss of power problem.The car was buried in snow for a couple of days and when I tried to start it when it was dug out- no go.When I finally got it going it was idling eratic and would not stay going.When I go to drive it there is a severe loss of power-wont go any faster than 70km.Checked vacuum lines none off or cracked.Is it possible that the timing belt slipped whenever I tried to start it the first time.The car worked great before storm.Any ideas apprec.

check the vaf (vane air flow) meter on the air filter box. might be frozev in place. look inside and try to the door wth your finger.

Comment

ME TOO

My car doing the exact same thing. It was facing north in a parking lot for 2 days, and the wind blew and filled the engine compartment with snow. It would not do above 50 mph the whole way home. The VAF was dry, and so were the cap and rotor. It does not sound like water in the fuel either. It's like the timing is really off, but not that the belt jumped. I think either the coil is bad or the distributor. Snow might have blown into them and short circuited something. I am going home in about an hour and am going to try to fix it. I let you know what I find out.
      The Festiva Store
      Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Try seafoam in your gas tank... At the very least it'll help you clean your engine very well and free up some power you have been losing. -Kyle
        Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

seafoam in the gas tank is pointless.

seafoam through the PCV system on a hot motor and let it sit for 30 minutes cleans out carbon!
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

seafoam

Kyle, read the post next time. Seafoam in the gas tank will not fix a problem that happens all of a sudden. Secondly the problem had nothing to do with the fuel system. If you read the posts, it has to do with ignition.

I swapped the coil and the ignition module, but those were both good so I'm thinking it is the distributor. I brought into the house and took apart so it could dry out. When I put it on I'll let you know if it helped, but I'm thinking I might have to get a new distributor.
            The Festiva Store

Comment

Re: seafoam

Originally posted by nonamekid
              Kyle, read the post next time. Seafoam in the gas tank will not fix a problem that happens all of a sudden. Secondly the problem had nothing to do with the fuel system. If you read the posts, it has to do with ignition.

I swapped the coil and the ignition module, but those were both good so I'm thinking it is the distributor. I brought into the house and took apart so it could dry out. When I put it on I'll let you know if it helped, but I'm thinking I might have to get a new distributor.
              Is it possible that the timing belt might have slipped a couple of notches on the belt causing it to idle rough and lose power?I turned it over quite a few times to actually get it to start.

Comment

It might have jumped a notch. I've heard the engine will still run but run very rough. I've checked every ignition component with another festiva that runs perfect, and everything worked fine. I guess my next step would be to look at the belt. I put a new one on four months back and it may have stretched egnough to let it jump. I'll have to llok at when I have time. The nice thing is that the motor in a non interference so at least the valves wont bend.
                The Festiva Store

Comment

I was/am having the same problem. It was insanely cold and may car lost power (it used to go 80+ mph) but it lost power until 40 mph then it died. Sometimes it doesn't do that, but other times it does. Sometimes the power comes back. I'm almost sure that it's an electronic problem. I changed the cap and rotor and it seems to run OK, but I'm going to have to change the plug wires to be sure.

Aaron
                  '92 Festiva: BP01

Comment

well i found this on a alldata ( a internet data base for car dealerships)
                    ISSUE: A no start condition, hard start condition or poor engine performance may be caused by water entering through the timing belt cover and freezing on the timing belt. The water freezing on the timing belt causes the timing belt to jump teeth which results in improper spark and cam timing.

ACTION: Install a new timing belt and apply RTV sealer on the timing belt cover to prevent water entry. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

1. Check the spark and cam timing. If not okay, proceed to Step 2.

2. Remove the upper timing belt cover. Refer to the Festiva Shop Manual, Section 21-05-6 for service details.

3. Position the timing pointer on the crankshaft pulley to the "TDC" position.

4. Check the alignment of the camshaft timing marks, Figure 3. If the camshaft timing marks are incorrect, proceed to Step 5. If the camshaft timing marks are correct, proceed to Step 6.

5. Remove the lower timing belt cover and timing belt. Inspect the timing belt for damage and replace as required. Refer to the Festiva Shop Manual, Section 21-05-17 for service details.

6. Apply a bead of RTV silicone sealer, (E3AZ-19562-A) on the upper and lower timing belt covers as shown in Figure 4.

7. Reinstall the upper and lower timing covers. Refer to the Festiva Shop Manual, Section 21-05-16 for service details.

this is for 88-89 festivas don't if this will apply to you or anyone else but i guesse this is a known issue enjoi
                    when i want to feel smart i go to the mall

Comment

Hey Hanz, thanks for the detailed reply. That sounds like what happened to me. I am going to look at on Saturday because I have a few hours on that day. I'll keep everybody up to date on what I find out. I know the covers for the timing belt on my car don't seal well so it is very possible it iced up.
                      The Festiva Store

Comment

Problem solved!! The belt had jumped a couple of teeth on the camshaft. It took me about two hours to fix it. Now that I know how to do it I can probably do it in 30 minutes. If anyone wants detailed steps on how to check and adjust the belt let me know and I'll post it.
                        The Festiva Store

Comment

If any wants to know how i fixed the belt, I wrote an article and it's in the Others articles section.
                          The Festiva Store

Comment

Working...
                          X