Power Outage!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Outage!!

Here's an odd one. While driving my wife's '93 Festiva with the A/C on - the car occasionally loses all power. The engine shuts off, the radio shuts off, the blower shuts off - It loses ALL electrical power. I think I have narrowed it down to the A/C as being the problem. It may be overloading a circuit when the clutch kicks in though I am not certain of that. The A/C works great and it doesn't make any noise or anything. Any ideas what fuse or circuit breaker should be checked/replaced to fix this problem? I checked the fuses in the fuse block to the lower left of the steering column and they were all good.
    Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
    Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

I once had a Mustang do something very similar ,,, the A/C clutch was drawing huge amounts of current and would cause a "brown out" condition,, in my case it wasn't as severe as you are seeing but then the Festy probably has much less alternator output ... finding a new clutch for that cars A/C was much easier than I think finding one for the Fester will be..

Comment

Got it!

Believe it or not... it was bad wiring on the back of the Blaupunkt CD/Receiver that a previous owner had installed. I cut out the solderless terminal connectors, created a permanent & good ground, and soldered all connections. I have not had a problem since!
      Red '93 GL Auto & A/C
      Silver '89 L 4spd stick, A/C

Comment

I Have a 1997 aspire 5 speed that did the same thing, lost all electrical power, motor shut off, everything, then a couple seconds later everything came back on and I haven't had a problem since. I don't have a/c.

Comment

Working...
        X