Speedometer gear housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer gear housing

Had nice weather today and I was able to remove the speedometer gear on Rustiva to check the trans fluid. It was easier to pull out than I anticipated but I did find the hold-down tab broken off. There was a piece of baling wire wrapped around the gear housing and the hold-down bolt. I guess to keep it from coming out?
    I checked the trans fluid then proceeded to make a hold down device. This should do until I either find another gear housing that isn't broken or pin and J-B weld a new tab on the one I have. The picture shows the gear housing with broken tab, The homemade hold down and view of it installed. The bracket is made from .060 aluminum with a .187 joggle. The large hole goes down over the threaded part of the gear housing and is .870 diameter. I can't remember the diameter of the bolt hole but it passes the 10 mm bolt. I think the bracket should be steel so it could provide more hold down force but on the other hand, the housing didn't pop out when the baling wire was used. I can see how the cast tab gets broken off easily. If the gear housing isn't seated completely and the bold is used to draw it down, There probably isn't enough strength in the aluminum (pot metal ?) tap. The housing goes in easy up to the O ring then more pressure is needed to seat the housing into the tranny. I used a wooden dowel rod and applied a gentle tap on top of the housing to seat it. before tightening the bolt. The thing I neglected to do - but will - is add a slotted .060 spacer inside and at the top of the large threaded cable fitting. The hold down bracket keeps the cable fitting from pulling down on the cable by the thickness of the hold-down bracket.. There may be some end play. I'll drive it a while to see if that matters. Hope this didn't get TOO wordy.
    Last edited by CharlieZ; 03-06-2009, 10:16 PM. Reason: typo
Working...
X