cv joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cv joints

I have a 97 Aspire and the cv joints are noisy, is it much of a job to replace them and will i need to replace the whole shaft or just the joints? Can i check which joints are faulty on the car or is this only possible with them removed?
    Steve from down under.
    :wink:

well if you really have bad joints then you need to replace the whole axle. you may be able to replace just the joint(i doubt it) but trust me you don't wanna. one of the worst auto repair jobs, cv's are a major pita. if your lucky then the joints aren't bad yet. could just be a torn boot. check all 4 boots (2 inner and 2 outer) for tears or leaks. if you have either then that boot needs to be replaced. remove the boot and clean out the joint(it will obviously be very greasy) and check all the bearings and cages for scoring or damage. if there isn't any damage then you can get away with just putting on a new boot. if its on an inner CV joint then remove the CV from the tranny to replace it, be sure to re-grease the joint before you finish installing the boot. if it's an outer boot then you have to remove the axle from the wheel hub. if there is damage to the bearings or cages then you have to remove from both and put in the replacement. either way have fun....gotta love suspension work!
    Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
    1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
    1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
    2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

Working...
    X