8053 mile oil change interval sample results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8053 mile oil change interval sample results

1994 Ford Aspire 132k miles on it. AMSOIL foam air filter. In use from August until Jan in Minnesota. Coldest temps were about neg 20 this year. This is the first interval post-auto-rx.

Second column is previous 4000 mile interval on ASL. Last column was blackstones averages.

ALUMINUM 8 -- 5 4
    CHROMIUM 3 -- 2 2
    IRON 9 -- 11 17
    COPPER 14 -- 5 5
    LEAD 0 --0 8
    TIN 0 -- 0 2
    MOLYBDENUM 5 -- 11 116
    NICKEL 0 -- 1 0
    MANGANESE 613 -- 0 0
    SILVER 0 -- 0 0
    TITANIUM 0 -- 0 0
    POTASSIUM 0 -- 0 1
    BORON 25 -- 43 47
    SILICON 4 -- 6 16
    SODIUM 9 -- 3 4
    CALCIUM 2186 -- 2206 1996
    MAGNESIUM 613 - 647 78
    PHOSPHORUS 853 -- 835 788
    ZINC 1154 -- 952 954
    BARIUM 0 -- 0 0

Water: 0
    Fuel: <1 (previously I had 2.5%)
    Visc100: 11.49
    Nitr: 13
    Oxid: 14
    TBN: 10.41

Make up oil was 1.5 quarts. About .5 quart was added about 2000 miles before the end of the interval.

Basically, I'm thinking...WHY DID I CHANGE MY OIL? LOL. Could have gone much longer.

From Titanium and above are wear metals. All of them are in check, but copper is a little high for some odd reason. Not high enough to get scared, but not in line with the rest. Amazing how I DOUBLED my interval and got less wear. No more fuel dillution makes me happy (thanks auto-rx for cleaning up my rings).

The TBN is amazingly high. The TBN is the measure of how much life is left in the oil. It needs to be changed at about 3, but I'm almost at 11. AMSOIL's oils start out between 11 and 12. So the make up oil must have boosted it. Viscosity is right where it should be; a heavy 30 weight.

I think next time I'll push the oil to 10k miles with a filter change at 5k. I'll also wait till i get the test results back before draining my oil and wasting perfectly good stuff!
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Lookin' Good. I need to send mine in. It's a 6k sample of PepBoys oil which was the rinse oil for the RX and was run with LubeControl after the first 1k.
    1990 LX Mostly Stock

1996 Impala SS, Not Stock

Comment

Don't bother with auto-rx rinse/cleaning phase UOAs.

A bunch of meaningless numbers with high insolubles (yeah, I did it once). But mine was a 2k mile rinse.

Why did you run your rinse oil that long? Just wanted to see if lube control worked or something?
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

According to the 1990 Festiva Owner Guide, you can get away with changing the oil every 7500 miles/6 months if you don't drive your car in extreme conditions...
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
        X