X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JohnGunn
    replied
    Originally posted by doylerl View Post
    Is there supposed to be a gap here? It is messy like it had been leaking for a while, but I am not sure if that is it leaking or just running down onto it. Any suggestions?
    Yes that gap is supposed to be there. It acts as a weep hole for oil that manages to leak past the rear engine seal.

Only way to tell where all that oil is coming from is to clean it up and watch it every day for as long as it takes to find the source. The distributor is located on the engine directly above the rear engine seal, so it is very possible that much of the oil could be coming from a bad o-ring on the distributor. Certainly check that before replacing the seal.

John Gunn
    Coronado, CA

Leave a comment:

• doylerl
    replied
    I ended up going to Lowe's and got a 1/4" bolt, with a 1.5" spacer that made it 3/8", and a lock nut. It has made a huge difference, but it still has a little more slop than my '89 4spd. I have included some pictures. I know, it's rusty and messy...
    New bushings for Ford (part # E7GZ-7A133-A):

New bushings installed under stick:

Bushings at trans.:

Is there supposed to be a gap here? It is messy like it had been leaking for a while, but I am not sure if that is it leaking or just running down onto it. Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• m715
    replied
    Here are pics of it disassembled. IIRC the two bushings are Mazda PN B001-46-062, same as on the other end of the shift rod at the transaxle. The roller bearing I was thinking of is on the stabilizer bar at the transaxle.

HTH
    Michael

Leave a comment:

• GenevaDirt
    replied
    Originally posted by m715 View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a roller bearing setup inside that joint?
    no roller bearing....it is the bolt and bushings. It is a special bolt that fits through and then the nut stops in the proper place once tightened. But if you have to you can use another bolt...but you will want something like a nylon lock nut so it will stay in place when tightened.

Leave a comment:

• hofficergrover
    replied
    i didn't reuse the old one i put a new bolt didn't have the end like the original and mine works great.

Leave a comment:

• doylerl
    replied
    If I can't find something to work, I guess I can always use the stick off of partstiva. I just didn't want a hole in the floor for the critters to climb through.

Leave a comment:

• skimsucka
    replied
    Originally posted by M715
    Or just count on that bolt being toast. i really hate to see that! You may want to consider sacrificing the nut so the bolt can be salvaged if you have to. It really looks like it could snap even with the penetrating oil. I have one of the assemblies here, and maybe I can look to see what the size of the bolt is, and if it has a special sized shank before the threads or somrthing specialized like that.

Yes at hardware store I couldn't find a bolt with the exact shafted length on it like the stock shafts. They were either to short or too long Save The Bolt!
    Last edited by Pu241; 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• doylerl
    replied
    Well, if there is, I think I can safely say, mine is shot!

Leave a comment:

• m715
    replied
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a roller bearing setup inside that joint?

Leave a comment:

• m715
    replied
    Here are a couple of pictures for reference:
    I just tried to pull the bolt on this shifter, and it is going to take some time to get IT loose!
    I will try again tommorow when I get back in here at the shop in the morning.

Michael
    Last edited by m715; 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• m715
    replied
    Or just count on that bolt being toast. i really hate to see that! You may want to consider sacrificing the nut so the bolt can be salvaged if you have to. It really looks like it could snap even with the penetrating oil. I have one of the assemblies here, and maybe I can look to see what the size of the bolt is, and if it has a special sized shank before the threads or somrthing specialized like that.

Leave a comment:

• MONSOON
    replied
    Soak it down with PB Blast now and it may not be so bad.

Leave a comment:

• doylerl
    replied
    I just went ahead and ordered some new bushings from my local ford dealer for under $7 each. They will be here tomorrow morning. I am just wondering how much of a PITA it is going to be to get the bolt loose with all that rust! After I get it fixed I will post up more pictures. Here is the other picture that would not work in my other post.

Leave a comment:

• ejp2fast
    replied
    check out that rust!!!!

glad you found the culprit.

Leave a comment:

• hofficergrover
    replied
    i jsut bought a civic short throw for 20 bucks on ebay free shipping and swaped them and used the brass bushings and fixed mine i did this on both of mine and am going to on my third one too. works alot better.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X