Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel bearings

Hi,

I had a constant noise coming from my car when it's moving. It's not the engine because I can disengage the clutch and it's still there. I took apart my rear wheel bearings last night and found that both outer bearings had metal shavings in between the rollers. There was plenty of grease everywhere (no loss of lubrication). I haven't yet cleaned all the parts, so I don't know where the metal is coming from. Anyone have any experience with this situation? Can I expect to be replacing just the bearings, or the brake drum and/or the axle as well?

Thanks,
    Nat
    BP powered 91 Festiva L
    -FMS springs, GR2 struts, Toyo T1R 195/45/14 on Swift GT alloys
    -Trunk mounted gel battery
    -Suzuki Swift GT seats, Grant GT steering wheel, auto-locks
    -Blaupunkt Melbourne deck with Bluetooth, sealed single 12" sub

if its the rear bearings, its easy to replace. Just pop the old ones out and put new ones in with the proper grease (i forgot the type you need...its listed in the shop manual or haynes manual).

If its the front bearings, you need to remove the hub & have them pressed in at a shop, much more costly & difficult
    Wil
    02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
    00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
    05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
    93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
    96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
    93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

So I bought new rear bearings, inner and outer. After I removed and cleaned the bearings, I found the bad ones. When I looked at the replacements, I couldn't figure out at first why they were not tapered. Then I noticed the outer races still stuck in the drum. So there was some pressing to be done.

Now I just need to find new spindle nuts.
      BP powered 91 Festiva L
      -FMS springs, GR2 struts, Toyo T1R 195/45/14 on Swift GT alloys
      -Trunk mounted gel battery
      -Suzuki Swift GT seats, Grant GT steering wheel, auto-locks
      -Blaupunkt Melbourne deck with Bluetooth, sealed single 12" sub

Comment

there is a cheap option for the front ones. A vice, a hammer and some brass bar stock. Pound it appart!

Comment

Working...
        X