Oiled up alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oiled up alternator

Just lost my cam seal today, so my head's spewing oil everywhere. I'm going to have to feed the car oil for a few days until I can get some spare time to work on the thing (just started an exercise). In the meantime, I was coming home tonight and as I was going over a speed bump, my alternator light flicked on for just a fraction of a second. What I'm wondering is if all of this oil will ruin that alternator. I haven't put the timing cover back on since my head gasket job, so the oil's literally going EVERYWHERE. On my hood, through my grill, even a little on the passenger headlight. Should I look into getting a new alternator once I reseat the seal, or is there some way I can keep it from being destroyed?
    GT

Look at your alternator to see what the situation is, but also look at your alternator belt. I had a charging problem awhile ago that I tracked down to an oil leak from my oil pan plug seal. Oil was coating the belt and causing it to slip on the alternator pulley. After I cleaned everything up, I had proper charge again and I also had a few extra horses.

Nat
    BP powered 91 Festiva L
    -FMS springs, GR2 struts, Toyo T1R 195/45/14 on Swift GT alloys
    -Trunk mounted gel battery
    -Suzuki Swift GT seats, Grant GT steering wheel, auto-locks
    -Blaupunkt Melbourne deck with Bluetooth, sealed single 12" sub

Comment

So oil *in* the alternator won't hurt the thing? I took a look today, and the problem isn't the cam pulley. It's got to be the crank seal or head (again). I'm spending a few minutes every couple of days to degrease the whole bay, which should help prevent damage in the meantime.
      GT

Comment

Oil all over teh alternator will kill it fast. I destroyed my MX-3's one b/c my valve cover was leaking oil and it COATED the alternator to holy hell.

Address the leak quickly & remove the alternator & scrub it down with some carb cleaner to clear off the oil & dirty crap. Hopefully no damage has been done yet.
        Wil
        02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
        00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
        05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
        93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
        96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
        93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

I'm using a pressure washer to degrease my bay. With 5 minutes to hit that tiny compartment, I shouldn't have too much trouble keeping the alternator clean.
          GT

Comment

Working...
          X