91 GL ATX few problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 91 GL ATX few problems

Ok i just picked up a 81 GL atx with a few issues. The car ran great when i drove it didn't slip or nothing. I seen it was leaking fluid from a hose up front which it had a clamp on it that was loose. So it just needed to be tighten. Which i didn't have any tools but i thought it would be ok till i get home. Well iu drove it about 30 mins home pulled into the part store to grab some wires and while i was pulling in i hit the gas a little hard and it slipped. Also when i was sitting in traffic it started to run hot. So im guessing a thermostat? It was kind of late when i got it so i haven't really had a chance to get into it and look it over. So i at the part store i got wires Tstat and 2 courts of tranny fluid of merc V. It only took about a court and also i wasn't sure if that was the right stuff. Which when i got home i read on here it was merc lV that it takes. So i guess ill be changing the tranny fluid and filter. Anyway when i left the part store it still slipped a little but went away, but also kind of shifts a little hard now. Do does anyone think if i change the fluid and filter it will stop slipping and shift better? I only drove it about 5 miles with the 1 court of wrong tranny fluid. Also since it was running kind of hot when i sit at a light i haven't had a chance to take it on a good drive and kind of hit the gas hard and beat on it a little to see if the tranny has fully stopped slipping. Also the speedometer doesn't work. My other 92 MTX squeaks from time to time so im guessing speedometer cable is broke?? Does the manual tranny and auto have the same speedometer cable? And one other thing, on top on the ATX tranny there's a canister looking thing the bolts to the top with a vacuum line on it but the vacuum line is just a nipple with a screw plugging the vac line. Now the only other auto i]ve owned is a 98 chevy minivan and i remember it had something on the auto that looked just like it with a vac line going from it to the intake manifold. I'm assuming the one on the festiva just hooks to the intake or T's in to some other vac line somewhere, does anyone know where or what exactly that canister does? Like i said it was late so i haven't had a chance to really look into it, but i figured I'll post about it while i'm at work before i get home. Sorry so long but any advice would be great. Thanks
Working...
X