Fuel gauge not functioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel gauge not functioning

I changed dashes a couple weeks ago to put in a tach cluster. Well for some reason that cluster was fault in many ways and ended up blowing my meter,R.Wiper and Hazard fuses. Well it also for some reason killed my Fuel gauge and now it reads nothing.

Does anybody know hwo I could go about trying to fix it. And also what I would need to test/look at to see what the problem could be
    And let the mods on the EzRush festiva begin!.

Need a little more info from you to try and help:
    Does the tachometer work?
    Does the temperature Gage work?

It sounds like a problem with the C211 connector, the one on the left-side in the back of the cluster. (Loose/bad connection).

Do you know if the tach cluster fuel Gage worked before you swapped it in?

You could try sticking you old cluster in to test to see if it works, this would eliminate the fuel sending unit and it wiring up to the cluster.
    Kevin
    '93 L (BP{T} Sold
    '90 L Plus Sold
    '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

Actually this is the old cluster put back in. And yes the temperature gauge does work just not the gas.
      The gauge always worked just for some reason it doesn't work right now
      Since the tach cluster was blowing fuses I figured it was a bad thing to keep it in.

I might go buy a box of fuses and try to determine was exactly is blowing what.

But I would still like to get the gas gauge working.

Like I said in the previous post it stopped working after I put the tach cluster in.
      And let the mods on the EzRush festiva begin!.

Comment

According to the Ford Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual:
        1. Check for continuity in the YELLOW wire between the cluster connector and the fuel tank sending unit connector.
        2. Check for continuity to ground in BLACK wire at the fuel tank sending unit connector.

Take a flashlight and shine it into the cluster connector to see if the female receptacle is clear. Make sure all the wires are pushed in and seated from the back of the cluster connector.
        You can also take a multimeter and read the ohms between the YELLOW and BLACK wires on the cluster connector, (Labeled K & L on mine). If it reads open, the problem is somewhere from the cluster connector to the fuel tank sending unit. If the sending unit is working you should read, (depending on how full the tank is), between 7 ohms full to 95 ohms empty.
        Check the cluster pins and make sure they are not bent/broken/missing.
        Good Luck!
        Kevin
        '93 L (BP{T} Sold
        '90 L Plus Sold
        '94 Mercury Capri XR2 sold

Comment

If this is a Festiva you're referring to, and especially the white lettered inst cluster, I'm virtually certain that the fuel and temp receiving units are identical in both clusters, differing only in the length of the needle shoved onto the end. I'm looking at one of each as I write, and they look identical. Only thing is, I've never tested this conclusion. But if your fuel dash unit is bad, and you swap the two & it works, please post the results.

Another problem with the tach cluster, if it's not just a connector that didn't seat properly, is the screws on the back. Those can get loose over time, and especially if the unit spent time in a JY more exposed to the elements, contacts could get oxidized and lose continuity.

John
          (Crimony! The spell cow redlines Festiva and suggests I might want to replace it with Fiesta. Can someone educate this cow!)

Comment

I've got a 93 and swapped in a yellow tach cluster from an 89 with no issues, so there shouldn't be any problem going between them under normal circumstances.
            GT

Comment

Working...
            X