Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine acting funny

Hey all,
    Today i was going down the road, and i hit a bump at about 15-25 mph, all of a sudden, the car started to buck like a bronco and felt like there was no power. When i stopped and opened the hood, there was a real funny smell. What the heck happened? Did i skip the timing by hitting a bump? Please help.
    EricZKC
    "If it's too loud, Youre too old!"
    Get in, sit down, shut up, and hang on!"

BTW, it is a 89 carb 4 speed. i have owned it since 89,000 and now it has 127,000. sorry forgot to put that in.

Comment

Did the problem go away?
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

no, I'm going to take it to my mechanic now.

Comment

check ur plug wires to see if one came off or is not making contact

Comment

thats the first thing i checked, when i started it this morning, it was fine, drove it to my mechanic, he said that he was not sure. But the valve cover was leaking oil and i change all the plugs, valve cover gasket, cap rotor and air filter. It runs a heck of a lot better now.

Comment

it happened to my before, but it was on the freeway

It started to shake and lose power right? I had the same thing and had a lost of power too. It is because you might have created a hole in your cylinder head. Either this, or there is a big enough hole between the rings... either way you have lost compression in a cylinder.

Because of the hole, the explosion pressure is not being transferred to the piston, instead the force is going past it into the bottom. It is causing an increase in pressure in there, and now the increase pressure is causing your case to leak oil.

That explains the oil. The shaking, from the unbalance of compression. Three others are fine, and this one is sending out less energy. This could cause shaking at certain speeds.

Just as I, I could still drive my car, no problem, but there was a loss in power and my top speed decreased tremendously and I started to blow smoke eventually.

How to correct this problem? Replace the cylinder head. But that gets expensive. Might as well, go for a new engine. A B6 swap. That's what I did, and I didn't have much of a choice. Plus you'll be happy in the end with the increased power and reliability of a new engine (if it was taken care of).

Good Luck to you otherwise!

Comment

i want to do the b6t swap, but i cannot find one here with the computer to control the new engine. any suggestions? I live in the Kansas City Missouri metro area.
                thanks,
                Eric

Comment

Working...
                X