Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where EXACTLY is the fuel filter? (pics appreciated)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^lol
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
      A million is a lot of fuel filters.
      Hmm, if you can replace a fuel filter in a heartbeat (each and every heartbeat), you could replace 1,000,000 in around 10 days.

Comment

OK, let's do the math:
        1,000,000 oil filters changed. Let's say it takes Basement Modder 5 minutes to do one. That's 5,000,000 minutes he has spent changing oil filters.
        Divide that by 12 to get how many he can change in an hour, since 5 x 12 = 60.
        5,000,000 / 12 = 416,667 hours spent changing oil filters.
        Divide that by 40 hours in the average workweek. 416,667 / 40 = 10,416 weeks he has been gainfully employed changing oil filters.
        Divide that by 50 (we'll give him two weeks of vacation a year) to get the number of years he has spent doing this. 10,416 / 50 = 208 years.
        If he dropped out of high school and started at age 16, he would therefore be 224 years old.

He could have changed oil filters for George Washington, if we had internal-combustion engines back then....
        Last edited by TominMO; 05-15-2011, 10:58 AM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
          A friend of mine in college, when laundry hadn't been done, and he was out of fresh under attire would say he was "going commando?"

Similar concept different context!
          Sigh. Yes John, my fuel filter is going commando.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            OK, let's do the math:
            1,000,000 oil filters changed. Let's say it takes Basement Modder 5 minutes to do one. That's 5,000,000 minutes he has spent changing oil filters.
            Divide that by 12 to get how many he can change in an hour, since 5 x 12 = 60.
            5,000,000 / 12 = 416,667 hours spent changing oil filters.
            Divide that by 40 hours in the average workweek. 416,667 / 40 = 10,416 weeks he has been gainfully employed changing oil filters.
            Divide that by 50 (we'll give him two weeks of vacation a year) to get the number of years he has spent doing this. 10,416 / 50 = 208 years.
            If he dropped out of high school and started at age 16, he would therefore be 224 years old.

He could have changed oil filters for George Washington, if we had internal-combustion engines back then....
            ok, i've changed about 25,000 of them.
            91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
            82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
            85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

I've probably changed fewer than forty oil filters. Hmmm, maybe one or two per year on my Chevette and first Civic. That would make around 10 maybe. Then very few for awhile on my second Civic and my K cars. Maybe the same number. Then maybe three per year for my Festivas from around 2000 on...so add around 34, plus twenty...makes about 54, give or take a dozen for my budding senility and so forth.

Oh, here's my fuel filter on Aqua, mounted on the firewall using an Aspire bracket:

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

When my fuel filter on my truck got so plugged up that the truck would not start and the fuel pump would not pump (this being about 4 months ago) I have already changed the fuel pump in my truck 4 times since then. Gas is a lot cleaner too since I've done this plus I don't go to the same place I've been going to for past two years just because gas was cheapest. Going to change filter on my festiva again which will be twice in last four months. Gas was dirty in it also. Changing filter is cheaper and easier than pulling fuel pump in either. You all have a great day.
                Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
                93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
                01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
                  Changing filter is cheaper and easier than pulling fuel pump in either.
                  ?
                  Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                  Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                  Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                    ?
                    I think he meant changing filters more frequently is cheaper than a fuel pump suffering and dying trying to pump fuel through a clogged filter.

I changed my carby filter a half dozen times when I first got it to be sure all the sediment was gone so it didn't pump to much of it into the bowl and needle seat in the carb. To this day I have never pulled the sender to look in there, it has been running good and i was affraid of stirring up more trouble if i did.
                    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

FI fuel filters tend to last a long time, but in my experience carby filters are good for about 10K miles. Whenever I have a carby car, I always keep a spare new fuel filter in the car, along with the tools to change it out. This has saved me a lot of time and aggravation, twice on road trips.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                      X