Cabin filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabin filters

If I manage to get the ac working on the aspire I thinking about seeing if I could adapt a cabin filter to the system. Since I run the outside air most of the time it would probably cut down on dust quite a bit. I haven't stood on my head to investigate the inside system but I know where the inlet is. I thought about cutting a foam filter and sticking it in the inlet. Anybody else thought about installing a cabin filter?
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

i don't think our blower motors can withstand having to suck air through one of those filters and might burn up

Comment

I just thinking of that but.. the escape we just bought which is a 04 didn't come with a cabin filter but has a spot for one. That was the main thing I was worried about when I added it but according to others no motor burn ups yet.
      91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

or very reduced airflow

our blower units are located in the drivers side center of the dash and the intake is on the far right side of the dash and plus we have a single squirrel cage fan, not a dual like most cars

Comment

I didn't notice any difference on the escape.. I wonder what it would take to upgrade to the dual fan.
          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

well as long as you don't need a gas pedal or a brake pedal............

not much

Comment

You know, on the Festiva, there is a filter for the cabin recirc air. Now that you mention it, I don't recall one for fresh air. Guess they have me figured out - air is much dirtier inside ops:

That being said, the recirc air filter is dang near impossible to get to without dash removal. I agree it sounds like a good idea, and I would imagine the blower could handle it - it already has one filter.
              jeff

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicaldj
                or very reduced airflow

our blower units are located in the drivers side center of the dash and the intake is on the far right side of the dash and plus we have a single squirrel cage fan, not a dual like most cars
                G-man, I haven't seen a dual fan on any Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda or Toyota without dual climate control. And then, the second fan (blower) is only to control the air volume to the passenger, or rear passengers.

and no, it won't burn up the motor. Only stalling the fan or completely eliminating all air flow would do that.
                Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Originally posted by FB71
                  Only stalling the fan or completely eliminating all air flow would do that.
                  Do not use the defrost with cold air!! It'll choke the blower and you can only restart the blower motor with s very sophisticated tool, like a hammer.

I *think* most car cabin filters are trimmed to size cheap furnace filters marked up 4000%
                  I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

Cabin air filter on my Taurus is same material as the engine air filter,, after approx 100k miles I did notice an airflow restriction... removing and shaking/banging/vacuuming the filter clean saved me $10 for the replacement.. I personally don't see them as a great value as I don't have allergies.. compared to another car I drive regularly with the windows open I can see they cut down on dust and pollen somewhat however.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyMom
                      Originally posted by FB71
                      Only stalling the fan or completely eliminating all air flow would do that.
                      Do not use the defrost with cold air!! It'll choke the blower and you can only restart the blower motor with s very sophisticated tool, like a hammer.

I *think* most car cabin filters are trimmed to size cheap furnace filters marked up 4000%
                      the OEM filters are like whats in good vacuum cleaners, a HEPA filter. Most aftermarkets are whatever they can find cheap.
                      Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
                      Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Working...
                      X