Transmission leak? 1988 Festiva 5 speed manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission leak? 1988 Festiva 5 speed manual

After I park my car, I notice small leaks on the floor. I took the car to one shop, they replaced the valve cover gasket (I knew that needed it), and the distributor O-ring. Still have a very small leak, and I'd like to get it fixed. But what is it? I am a handicapped person, so I'm not too handy anymore with the tools.

The leaks occur under the transmission area, and the fluid is an "oil" color, kind of brown, and feels like oil. Not coolant, don't think. Not air-con condensate. Not windshield washer fluid. I looked up the Xmission oil spec in my owner's manual, it says Ford Mercon automatic transmission fluid, which I should think would be red.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Dan

I recently had a serious tranny oil leak due to a shitty CV axle replacement job.

The transmission oil is brownish-blue. It will look brown, unless you have a huge puddle like I did, then you'll see the blue tint, it will feel gooey-er between your finger-tips than your motor oil. My Ford CD says it's Motocraft MERCON XT-2-QDX.

Hope that helps!
    I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

I think I have the same problem. The transmission case is wet with brown oil. I recently serviced my cv joints and replaced the transmission fluid with new stuff that is red. So I doubt I have a trans fluid leak.

Nat
      BP powered 91 Festiva L
      -FMS springs, GR2 struts, Toyo T1R 195/45/14 on Swift GT alloys
      -Trunk mounted gel battery
      -Suzuki Swift GT seats, Grant GT steering wheel, auto-locks
      -Blaupunkt Melbourne deck with Bluetooth, sealed single 12" sub

Comment

Working...
      X