Idle again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle again...

While I'm not revving at 3K in neutral, the idle is a bit high - about 1500 rpm. The throttle lever on the carb is not going back to the idle stop tab. I feel some resistance , as if the throttle were scraping against something, and I can push the tab back to idle position where it drops back down to normal. There are 2 "spots" like this - one around 3K, and the other 1500. The throttle has enough force to get down to the 1500 spot, but I have to push it back to idle.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Tim

BTW, the Cruise Control is almost done - all I have to do is connect a few (4) wires and we're in business...
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Tim, sounds like the fast idle cam isn't pulling off. looking at the driver's side of the carb, there's a canister on 45deg angle at the rear of the carb. the bottom has a rod that comes out, and the top has a vacuum line. Check to see if you have vac on that hose with eng warm, in neutral at idle. If you have a handheld vacuum pump, pull some vac on the servo. Should pull off with (I think) about 7"hg. This will also tell you if that servo is leaking.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

Thanks for the tip! I went and checked the cam thingy this afternoon and it functions normally. I am really stumped - what could be causing this?

Right now the idle is down to 1100, and sinks to normal when the A/C is on (the idle-up solenoid either is broken or nonexistant...).

I want to avoid taking it into the shop because I'm a poor high school senior who doesn't want his feeble paycheck going into the Festiva...

Regards,

Tim
      White '89L auto - Sold!
      Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
      X