Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help adjusting carb

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, new festiva owner, and new to working on cars.

My 88 Festiva (mileage unknown) has a 2 barrel carb, and sat for a couple years before I bought it. I got it running, but it was stalling, backfiring, lurching, hesitating, etc. I replaced the plugs, cap, rotor, wires, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, and changed the oil. I also poured and sprayed various carb cleaners into the carb and into the tank.
    Replacing the cap, rotor and wires improved performance a bit, but it still hesitates and lurches, especially getting into gear, and stalls easily getting into first or reverse, and sometimes backfires. Sometimes it stalls when I come to a stop. I see other cars behaving and sounding like this, so I imagine there must be some common cause. My guess would be fuel delivery problem.
    My friend says it smells "rich". Before I go and rebuild the carb, I want to try to adjust it, to lean it out. Can anyone give me some suggestions on doing this?
    Thanks,
    Erik

rebuild.

a/f adjust is set and sealed at factory. also check to make sure air bleed stepper motor is functioning.
    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
    Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

air bleed stepper motor?

Hi Jim,

What's the "air bleed stepper motor"?

Thanks,

Erik

Comment

Get another at the junkyard if you can't afford a rebuild.

Not the ideal solution but if the donor carb is in good shape it probably will work.

Regards,

Tim
        White '89L auto - Sold!
        Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Working...
        X