Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whoops... Ran my Festy with too much oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tac
    replied
    Ford manual states if low reading is within 75% of highest reading it's OK.

Leave a comment:

• tac
    replied
    If it runs fine when cold and crappy when warm it may just be an O2 sensor. If they get coated the ECM thinks the O2 sensor is fine but will give slow or incorrect outputs.

Leave a comment:

• 93L
    replied
    Ordering new head gasket, valve cover gasket, grease seal, timing belt and water pump.

Anything else I'm missing to try to breathe new life into this old gas miser?

93L

Leave a comment:

• moz
    replied
    One of the exhaust valves???
    Lol.
    I meant THE exhaust valve.
    I forgot that its an 8 valve motor.

Leave a comment:

• moz
    replied
    I think the 160 could be blow by or perhaps a very small break in the gasket or head.
    I'm not sure what the reading should be on a b3 (this is my first festiva).
    But if the 180-190 range is normal, I'd be checking cylinder 1 to see if one of the exhaust valves is stuck shut or bent.
    That's possibly why the car idles OK but when given throttle is struggles.

BUT!!!!
    See what the normal range should be first.
    I'm sure someone will dime in soon.

Best of luck!

Leave a comment:

• 93L
    replied
    Originally posted by Movin View Post
    Chinese rubber...It has a crimp clamp holding the hose onto the nipple in the adapter.
    Use some vice grips or? to squeeze the crimp and turn. The crimp is not tight enough anymore and squeezing it should be just enough to back out.

The adapter should have a oring to make the seal ( it does not need to be very tight at all to seal ) and this oring can be slicked up or softened up by a little hot oil poured down in there.
    Finally went got the tester hose adapter out and went and bought a brand new tester gauge. This time worked like a champ.

Here are the numbers I got: 210, 160, 190, 184.

What do you guys think? Obviously there is a large range in pressure with #2 @ 160 being the lowest.

93L

Leave a comment:

• Movin
    replied
    Chinese rubber...It has a crimp clamp holding the hose onto the nipple in the adapter.
    Use some vice grips or? to squeeze the crimp and turn. The crimp is not tight enough anymore and squeezing it should be just enough to back out.

The adapter should have a oring to make the seal ( it does not need to be very tight at all to seal ) and this oring can be slicked up or softened up by a little hot oil poured down in there.

Leave a comment:

• 93L
    replied
    Update:

I finally have a day off of work!

My '93 Festiva manual came in. I went down to Vatozone and rented a compression gauge and got to work testing.

NOW, the #1 cylinder showed 210 on the gauge. I went to move over to #2 and the damn tube wont unscrew, it just circles the plug adapter piece and wont back out. Anyone have any idea of how to get this thing out without ripping off the rubber tube?

TIA

93L

Leave a comment:

• Movin
    replied
    The VAF is the part that has a electrical plug in. It is in the tube between your throttle body and your air filter. This same tube goes over the top of the valve cover.

The inside of this tube and the throttle body should be clean and dry inside. No sign of oil having been there.

Leave a comment:

• 93L
    replied
    Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
    I think you have something else going on here....maybe a bad head gasket, broken ring or something. I really don't think having one extra quart of oil in the pan had anything to do with it. However, you might have some excessive blow-by that's forcing oil into the intake tract.
    Start the engine and let it idle. While its idling, remove the oil fill cap and observe....and rev it up a few times. Is there white smoke or steam blowing out of the valve cover? Hold your hand over the hole to seal it tight for about 10 seconds and remove your hand. Is there a large build up of pressure in the valve cover?
    Originally posted by moz View Post
    Its time for a compression test. That will either prove a head gasket, ring problem or cancel it out.
    Buy a compression gauge or take it to you local mechanic to get it tested.
    Thanks guys, I will check the compression tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• moz
    replied
    Its time for a compression test. That will either prove a head gasket, ring problem or cancel it out.
    Buy a compression gauge or take it to you local mechanic to get it tested.

Leave a comment:

• blkfordsedan
    replied
    I think you have something else going on here....maybe a bad head gasket, broken ring or something. I really don't think having one extra quart of oil in the pan had anything to do with it. However, you might have some excessive blow-by that's forcing oil into the intake tract.
    Start the engine and let it idle. While its idling, remove the oil fill cap and observe....and rev it up a few times. Is there white smoke or steam blowing out of the valve cover? Hold your hand over the hole to seal it tight for about 10 seconds and remove your hand. Is there a large build up of pressure in the valve cover?

Leave a comment:

• 93L
    replied
    Originally posted by Movin View Post
    You may have a ricer filter but you still have the VAF and what ever is between it and the throttle body. Oil when pushed from the valve cover into the intake fouls your plugs and the engine runs really doggy. When you have oil collected in the VAF and you drive the car it will sweep some of this oil into the intake and cause poor power. Also can make the vane sticky and cause poor running.

If the baffle inside the valve cover is carboned up it could be holding oil there and dripping some into the intake every now and then.

Flooding the valve cover area with oil may have caused some to go into the disty cap, check that as well.
    Thanks for the response. As a disclaimer, I am no mechanic. I have a basic 200 piece craftsman socket set, a floor jack and jack stands. I have only done very basic maintenance on vehicles in the past.

I have been lurking on this forum for a while drooling over all of the festy's and taking notes on what to watch out for etc. I finally bought my very own back in January and have LOVED it.

With regard to the VAF vane, where exactly is this and how would I go about cleaning it? Spark plugs? I replaced those just yesterday. I took the cap off the distributor and it was clean and dry in there.

I am reluctant to remove the valve cover, because I believe after doing so I will have to replace the valve cover gasket.
    Last edited by 93L; 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Movin
    replied
    You may have a ricer filter but you still have the VAF and what ever is between it and the throttle body. Oil when pushed from the valve cover into the intake fouls your plugs and the engine runs really doggy. When you have oil collected in the VAF and you drive the car it will sweep some of this oil into the intake and cause poor power. Also can make the vane sticky and cause poor running.

If the baffle inside the valve cover is carboned up it could be holding oil there and dripping some into the intake every now and then.

Flooding the valve cover area with oil may have caused some to go into the disty cap, check that as well.

Leave a comment:

• 93L
    replied
    Also I noticed when I step on the gas the white smoke is MUCH more prevalent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X