messy oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• messy oil change

is there a trick to removing the filter and it not puking oil all over the back of the engine????
    changed my oil tonight and it was a over the place.
    any ideas????

shayne

You should shut off the engine before you remove the filter. :lol: But seriously, I get a thick rag (like an old bath towel) and hold it against the block under the filter and then unscrew it. I also put on a pair of "surgical gloves" so my hands don't get all nice and black. You can get the gloves at most drug stores, K-Mart, Wal-Mart, etc. The gloves also work good for repacking wheel bearings with grease.
    John
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Yeah.

#1 Be quick
      #2 PUSH against the oil filter as you're unscrewing it. This keeps it from weeping out
      #3 Tip it upright quickly

No mess.

I personally reach around the steering stuff or exhaust or something....there's something in my way so I go the long way around it. Makes it easier for me.

I also prefill the new oil filter. I fill it up, let it soak into the media, then put just enough into it I can hold it sideways and it won't drip out.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Gloves and tipping the filter up during removal help a LOT. Can't remember the last time I got oil on myself during a change.
        GT

Comment

I use the box from the new filter as a kind of shield/funnel under the old filter against the block.
          Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
          Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

I just change my oil after driving the car let it sit and drain while i sit and drink beer.... with the car not jacked up it works pretty well.... or i am so tanked when i pull the filter off I don't notice.... LOL :wink:

Comment

Working...
            X