• Show
Clear All

• Dragonhealer
    replied
    Nice tool!

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaFestivaGuy
    replied
    Using the puller has the additional advantage that it will remove steering wheels from columns that have already been removed from the vehicle as a single unit. I have several of those in my parts store in ANC. By removing the steering wheels, everything will require a whole lot less precious storage space.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-23-2015, 12:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Movin
    replied
    knees and toes can push way harder under the steering wheel than you can yank and pull, plus no face plant haha!

Leave a comment:

• sketchman
    replied
    It might also be easier than pulling to just hammer the wheel in the center a time or 2. Did it for mine. Not directly in the center, but close as possible to it while still not hitting the shaft.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaFestivaGuy
    replied
    Generally preferring the "Use the right tool and do the job in 10 seconds" method, I found this (see photo) never-opened tool in one of my Festy boxes and had the wheel off in second (using the supplied 8mm bolts). It did take a 12" ratchet handle that I normally use for wheel lug bolts to get it loose.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• scitzz
    replied
    Always wiggled mine off, and Nitro is right, two small bolts if you can't wiggle it.

Leave a comment:

• nitrofarm
    replied
    Gents all you need is two small bolts-I found two in my bolt bucket from partn out Festy's.

Leave a comment:

• navdoc101
    replied
    You can buy one from ANY parts store , less than $10.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonhealer
    replied
    All too true! A shot of PB blaster after the nut is loose, 5 minutes later it will come loose. "Wiggle means here push forward with the right hand while pulling back with the left, all in line with the column, and then alternate which hand pushes and which pulls, never failed yet! But DO leave the nut on like 3 turns, facial lacerations bleed a lot!

Leave a comment:

• Bert
    replied
    Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
    What I have done in the past is to leave the main steering wheel nut on the shaft but loose. Wiggle and pull hard and the steering wheel will eventually come off. When it does come off you'll know why you left the nut on the end of the shaft.
    Yessiree! Talking from experience. "Wiggle and pull hard" is often an understatement when trying to do this , and perfect reason to leave the nut on there spun loose.

Leave a comment:

• fastivaca
    replied
    What I have done in the past is to leave the main steering wheel nut on the shaft but loose. Wiggle and pull hard and the steering wheel will eventually come off. When it does come off you'll know why you left the nut on the end of the shaft.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaFestivaGuy
    replied
    I've tried wiggling. This steering wheel has never been off of this car (an 88LX) since I got it in 2001.

I tried various bolts from around the car. The one from the distributor-to-block fits -- I think that's an M8 ... by 1.25, right? A 12mm socket fits its head.
    Last edited by AlaskaFestivaGuy; 08-20-2015, 09:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TominMO
    replied
    I've only ever once had to use a steering wheel puller, which was on my 323. Don't know why it wouldn't come off. Never had any problem with any other wheel.

Leave a comment:

• SiliconSoul
    replied
    I usually just wiggle it side to side while pulling and haven't found one yet I couldn't remove.

Leave a comment:

• ryanprins13
    replied
    One big yank and mine came right off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X