Is it practical to convert my pristine 88LX to fuel-injected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it practical to convert my pristine 88LX to fuel-injected

I have a perfect silver 88LX 5-speed with all the trimmings with only 35K miles since I rebuilt the body and the engine. Not a spot of rust and no dents with perfect interior. It never got really great mileage (I did not rebuild the carb) and just recently failed the idle CO emission portion of the smog test. A carb shop quoted me $400 to overhaul the carb on the car (I just give them the car for a week).

I'm disassembling a fuel-injected car, a 92GL and prob also a 93L with front end damage that's not worth repairing.

Is it practical to convert my beautiful 88LX to fuel-injected, and then never have to worry about all that plumbing again? It would seem that a whole bunch of wiring has to go away. Would I need to transplant the wiring harness (at least from the dash forward) from the donor? Are the connectors behind the dash the same? Would my 88LX even have the mechanical mountings for the computer? Would I have to pull the instrument panel down on it? Am I crazy for even thinking about doing this? I intend to keep the car forever.

I searched but found nothing on this subject.
    88L black, dailydriver
    88LX silver a/c, dailydriver
    4 88/89 disassembled
    91L green
    91GL aqua pwrsteer
    92GL red a/c reardmg
    3 93L blue, 2 dailydriver, 1 frontdmg
    1952 Cessna170B floatplane
Working...
X