Frequency of oil changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequency of oil changes?

Since I don't put very much mileage on my car (~1500 every 3 months), is it OK to wait longer than the usual 3 months before changing the oil? Given this, how often should I change it?

Regards,

Tim
    White '89L auto - Sold!
    Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

On my beater truck and my 68 mustang I put less than 3000 miles a year on each. I usually change the oil in the truck 2 times a year cause I drive it all year and the mustang I do at least once a year since it sees no use in the winter.
    I wouldn't worry about the 3 months. I think that it is just so the quick lubes and dealers can get you in for more expensive repairs.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
    BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
    BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
    New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

It's perfectly acceptable to wait longer between oil changes.

Personally, if I were you I would switch to a good synthetic like Mobil1, AMSOIL, Red Line or Royal Purple.

Due to the lack of driving you're going to get a lot of deposits. A good synthetic won't sludge up over time. It also handles oxidation better and will last longer calendar wise.

If you're really only putting on 6000 miles a year, then a once a year oil change with any of the previously mentioned oils would be perfect for you.

If you don't want to step up to that, then I'd recommend a good HD diesel oil. Rotella T, Delvac, etc. 5w40 and 10w30 would be the viscosities I'd use.
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Re: Frequency of oil changes?

Originally posted by Tim
        Since I don't put very much mileage on my car (~1500 every 3 months), is it OK to wait longer than the usual 3 months before changing the oil? Given this, how often should I change it?

Regards,

Tim
        Consider your engine's state of mechanical condition before arriving on a set mileage figure that you are obviously trying to stretch out.

Engine A : Good oil control.

Engine B : Poor oil control.

Someone tells you prolong oil and filter change to 7000 miles for both.

Nonsense.

Oil contamination, such as combustion byproducts, limits effective service life. This can plug the smallish Festiva filter, after which the bypass will open, and the engine will receive unfiltered oil. The filter doesn't care if it's synthetic or conventional.

This happened on my white 88 @ 4,000 miles ( approximate ) once. No worry, a throwaway engine to me ( which is why it's offered for free in classifieds ). But to someone else.

While you could run synthetic, extend the mileage to a reasonable factor, and change filter twice for service life of oil, at that point you have already accomplished most of the job. To not proceed and finish makes little sense to me.
        Rich Norman
        5 Festivas:
        1992 L - Daily Driver
        1993 GL-Off-Road Buggy Subaru EJ20DET
        1988 L - Big Block Ford Pro-Street
        1992 L - Corvette LS7 drivetrain
        1991 L - Parts Car

Comment

My engine is, for the most part, untouched. It has 180K on it and has never had any major work done on it. What amazes me is that it burns no oil after all these years. At most I might have to add half a quart between changes.

Right now, I'm in no position financially to replace the engine if it seizes or dies on me.
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

Moving to the right forum.

Simon
            Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

I've never seen a clogged filter. I've seen faulty bypass valves though and incorrect bypass valve settings.

Also, synthetics handle combustion byproduct MUCH better than conventional oils.

Tomorrow I'm mailing in my 8305 mile oil sample on my 94 aspire with 132k miles that was badly abused by the lady before me. That's 8300 miles over 4 months time (it sat for all of december).
              www.dantheoilman.com
              AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
              Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
              Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
              X