Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything runs great till 35mph?

Festive cuts out under load

I have an 1989 Festiva with a carbureted engine and manual tranny. 215,000 miles 100,000 on the rebuilt engine and 50,000 on the new tranny

the car will Idle all day long, I can Drive around town just fine. The problam is on the HwY it cuts out when there is any load on the engine or when floored in 3rd 4th or 5th.

3 weeks ago the car started to cut out when a load was placed on the engine or if I floored it in any gear but first.

This happened 10 mins after revving it up to power down a muddy road. I came to a stop light and it died. I restarted it and limped it home as it would die when ever I would stop or if I gave it too much gas. At home I found the #4 wire burnt up on the inside.

Since then,
    I replaced all wires and plugs good spark in all cylinders:
    Car idles great.
    Car starts fine.
    Car still cuts out while climbing small hills or when gas pedal is floored
    Car will climb in speed if I find the “sweet spot” not to hard not to soft.
    Car will not go in 5th gear no matter how gentle I am.

Then I replaced the fuel filter
    Same problems

Then replaced the Catalytic converter
    Same problems

Then took to a shop
    They tested fuel 5.5lbs
    Tested the timing good belt and right on
    Tested vacuum don’t remember the # but they said it was good.
    The told me it was a Carb problem

Then I rebuilt the Carb
    Same problem

Then I took out the emergency shut off in the carb. The piece that the black wire goes to. Vacuum activated switch, a C ring holds a stopper in place well any way I took that out.

Still the same problem, cuts out when floored in 3rd gear, cuts out when going up hill in 3-5th, if in the sweet spot on level ground I can go in 4th, will not drive unless down hill in 5th.

The last thing I have checked it the tank pick up, which is clean, when the gas tank is pressured gas streams out of the petcock.

Please help I am stranded in Missoula, MT for 3 weeks I was suppose to be back in class 1000 miles from here 4 weeks ago. Any Ideas please call 2187918421 or email yogaslackers@gmail.com

Thank you for your time.

Sam Salwei
    Proud owner the Peace, Love and Be-Happy Car for the last 4 years, it has provided me with 121,000 out of its 215,000 mile life so far.
    Find Slackline Kits, Slackline Yoga and AcroYoga resources for all ages and skill levels. Search for teachers and classes around the world.
    Slacker Sam
Working...
X