Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome Matt!!

You are a working fool you are!

Guys, Matt will have ten things done before I'm even thinking about breakfast. (I think I'm coming out of hibernation this past week.)

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

haha no I slept in today, didn't get up till 7:30. I overhauled the rear drums, that was a trip...somebody "just repacked those bearings"...and they almost chewed off the driver side spindle!!! Nothing a little sandpaper and fresh packed bearings torqued down right didn't fix. Both ebrake levers were seized pretty bad..that's fixed now.

I want to come up and see you before I leave Karl, I just don't know if time will permit, or your schedule this week?
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Haha, was heading to town to take my wife to breakfast, and pick up a new liner and some fluxcore wire and Marietta Ignition called and said my head was ready to pick up!!!

It's Perdy lol, they did a 3 way valve job, checked and decked it .02, pressed in new valve stem seals assembled the valves for me and tossed in a felpro HG for 157$ after taxes. I'm at Cheddars waiting for my sister, and my neices...hopefully should get started on the car this afternoon
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Well, I got the head home, stuck the camshaft in it, and noticed the chewed up valve stem seal I had tried to remove when I tore the head down...

I ended up taking the head in around 1:30, and didn't get it back till around 4:30, so half my day was shot. I did get the cam, sensor, thermostat, disty, cam pulley, and intake all bolted on, about that time it got dark...but I went ahead and bolted the head to the block anyway. I was getting things buttoned up, and it started raining on me, so it was time to quit. Hopefully tomorrow ill be able to jack it up and get the timing set and see what it'll do.
          Attached Files
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
            Well, I got the head home, stuck the camshaft in it, and noticed the chewed up valve stem seal I had tried to remove when I tore the head down...

I ended up taking the head in around 1:30, and didn't get it back till around 4:30, so half my day was shot. I did get the cam, sensor, thermostat, disty, cam pulley, and intake all bolted on, about that time it got dark...but I went ahead and bolted the head to the block anyway. I was getting things buttoned up, and it started raining on me, so it was time to quit. Hopefully tomorrow ill be able to jack it up and get the timing set and see what it'll do.
            Matt in post#33 you stated "They pressed in new valve seals".But you said you noticed the one you had chewed up? Did you mean they pressed in new guides?
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Nope, lol..I mean they didn't actually press on new valve stem seals while they were doing the rest!!!

I took it back and they did them all. Makes me wonder if the actually pressure checked the head or not too.
              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

The head looks good
                Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Nope, lol..I mean they didn't actually press on new valve stem seals while they were doing the rest!!!

I took it back and they did them all. Makes me wonder if the actually pressure checked the head or not too.
                  Well that price is dirt cheap they gave you, especially with a Head Gasket included. My machinist preferred to knurl my guides.He said he's done a lot of B6 & Bp's for circle track racers. And its cost effective to knurl the guides if they arent worn.

Comment

what's that mean, knurl? is that like what arty did with his b6 head and knocking down the protrusion into the runner?
                    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

lol....

This video was uploaded from an Android phone.

Still got a full days worth of work, exhaust needs welded up, need to get new hardware kits for the front brakes, and I want to check compression on all the cylinders, but she runs!!

I didn't let it run long enough for the thermostat to open up yet, and I'll probably have to top off the oil and antifreeze, but she's running!

Is there anything I should be watching out for especially, or any certain type of break in/heat cycles I should do for a break in before I dog it a bit?
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

lol....

This video was uploaded from an Android phone.

Still got a full days worth of work, exhaust needs welded up, need to get new hardware kits for the front brakes, and I want to check compression on all the cylinders, but she runs!!

I didn't let it run long enough for the thermostat to open up yet, and I'll probably have to top off the oil and antifreeze, but she's running!

Is there anything I should be watching out for especially, or any certain type of break in/heat cycles I should do for a break in before I dog it a bit?
                        You just did the top end right? So there isnt any real break-in. As long as the lifters are quiet,go for it and test the rev limiter.

Comment

Yea didn't mess with anything down below. Just a oil change and some headwork. I got these extra nuts and bolts i'm not real sure where they go haha..oh well, hopefully they were for the stock airbox or something. Didn't put the top TB cover back on either, and I couldn't locate my old stock airbox so I just employed my homemade airbox from my first aspire.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Yea didn't mess with anything down below. Just a oil change and some headwork. I got these extra nuts and bolts i'm not real sure where they go haha..oh well, hopefully they were for the stock airbox or something. Didn't put the top TB cover back on either, and I couldn't locate my old stock airbox so I just employed my homemade airbox from my first aspire.
                            Rev limiter here comes zoom zoom!

Comment

yea buddy! I put it in gear and drove forward and backward about 20', it shifted smooth, and we'll see how 2nd and 3rd go tomorrow. They're such dogs when it's just open header lol...almost makes me think the exhaust flowing out the back is what propels it forward!

Plans are just a stock pipe straight back to a 2" cherrybomb with a "pretty" chrome tip. (already on the car just needs welded up)
                              Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-06-2013, 10:35 PM.
                              2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                              1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

yea buddy! I put it in gear and drove forward and backward about 20', it shifted smooth, and we'll see how 2nd and 3rd go tomorrow. They're such dogs when it's just open header lol...almost makes me think the exhaust flowing out the back is what propels it forward!

Plans are just a stock pipe straight back to a 2" cherrybomb with a "pretty" chrome tip. (already on the car just needs welded up)
                                Matt put the "Cherry Bomb" in place of the converter(if you can get past emissions) and put a turbo muffler in back. I did the "Glass pack" alone & its really loud even @ idle. My wife hated it- and I had to agree with her cuz she was right.drool And with the 3 speed it was SOOOO loud on the freeway.
                                Last edited by nitrofarm; 03-06-2013, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X