No announcement yet.

numba four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeing those two '97s together has me wanting a 'spire.

My plan would be to upgrade the front end to '03 Rio spec (10" rotors!) and drop in a 1.5L Z5 engine out of a '95 to '98 Protege DX. I figure a little heavier car with a newer design, 96hp engine should be a nice highway cruiser.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

haha, I tell yah what man I really like having heat from the front facing dash vents too! One of these days I'll get into a Festy, just waiting on the right deal since they're so few and far between.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
        haha, I tell yah what man I really like having heat from the front facing dash vents too! One of these days I'll get into a Festy, just waiting on the right deal since they're so few and far between.
        The only thing that I dont like about the Aspire is the lack of passing power. Cruise power is fine. Trying to pass a pick up truck on the back country roads can suck.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Nitro wrote:

"The only thing that I dont like about the Aspire is the lack of passing power. Cruise power is fine. Trying to pass a pick up truck on the back country roads can suck."

I figure the Z5 would be the perfect balance of power and economy for the Aspire. Maybe for the Festiva too.

Karl

Comment

I'm not really sure what the electronics are like for a z5, honestly I doubt I'll ever do another swap unless I can use the electronic gadgets that come stock in the original car. The whole wiring mess trying to splice a BP and aspire wiring harness is just ridiculous. I don't even know if it will work for me, just too much that can go wrong.

Peaspire got a new hood today, it's got racing stripes The color contrast is noticeable but it's not bad at all really, just a slightly darker shade of green. I swapped the taillights from babyspire and put those pristine 97 taillights back on her. Peaspire got the third brake light and two rear side marker lights tinted to match too.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
              Nitro wrote:

"The only thing that I dont like about the Aspire is the lack of passing power. Cruise power is fine. Trying to pass a pick up truck on the back country roads can suck."

I figure the Z5 would be the perfect balance of power and economy for the Aspire. Maybe for the Festiva too.

Karl
              Ok Karl you got my attention....http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Mazda-Pr...98a918&vxp=mtr

SO DOES THE Z5 BOLT RIGHT UP TO B SERIES TRANNY'S? I CHECKED WIKPEDIA & IT APPEARS TO BE SOLIDLY BASED OF A B SERIES ENGINE,BUT WITH A COMPLETE REDO OF THE CYL HEAD.

Comment

That's right. Z5s will bolt up. However, they came out in the Protege DX in 1995 with a transitional electronic setup that was not quite OBD-II compliant. My guess is that to minimize issues with OBD compatibility, you have to go one of two ways:

-Use the '95 Z5 that was not fully OBD-II with an OBD-I swap (Festiva or early Aspire).

-Use the later Z5s ('96 to '98 Protege DXs) for a full OBD-II swap into an OBD-II '96 or '97 Aspire.

I have no idea if I'm right though, and absolutely no idea if it's easier to put a '95 Z5 into OBD-I or keep everything OBD-II with a later engine.

My other guess is that the Z5, which has IIRC 96 hp, would be the most "modernized" B series engine for max fuel economy with more power than either the B3 or B6. It might allow you to get tuned up B3 mileage with almost B8 power.

I could be wrong on many of these things though! Just wishful guessing, which I'm really good at.

Karl
                Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-17-2013, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Man that sure is tempting. I need to get on the ball with this BP so I can look into other stuff...like a z5..
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Interesting Z5 info:

JDM specs claim 110 hp and 140 lbs.-ft. torque:

JDM Engine Zone offers a wide range of high-quality used engines and transmissions to enhance your vehicle's performance and reliability. Click for prices!

One guy asking questions after some of his homework (but no one answered):

I'm comparing the Z5-DE specs to a B5-ZE. Major differences include cylinder bore, camshafts and fuel injector flow rate. Section 1: Bore The bore of the B5 is 78mm. Other engines with a 78mm bore? The 1.6L engines. According to www.protegefaq.net, all of the 1.6L engines have a 78mm x 83.6mm...

Karl

Comment

I really like the intake manifold on the Z5

Comment

You sold this car????????? Why-

Comment

Didn't really need it. I still have two aspires and a minivan, and now I can go get that f150. . I'm kind of hoping a Festiva will pop up for sale soon, I'd really like to put a b6 in one to drive daily and keep the miles off the babyspire. Also opens up the opportunity to buy another aspire if one comes up for sale, I would like to find and fix at least two more eventually... I'm guessing around Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec will be the time for buying the right cars.

And I got a 4 wheeler out of it lol..

Last edited by zoom zoom; 04-20-2013, 12:10 PM.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                            I really like the intake manifold on the Z5
                            Why not the b6d aspire ?
                            New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by shadetree View Post
                              Why not the b6d aspire ?
                              Because I'm an engine hoarder and I wants one lol.But yes its coming......with vics.:thumbs_up:

Comment

Working...
                              X