LED Tach Cluster Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Tach Cluster Conversion

After a few different ideas and a couple fully built units, I have finally made a Tach cluster that is backlit brightly and evenly across the board, with no dim spots or reflections / glare.

In all pictures with the LEDs. I have my exposure as Locked as it can be with my phone, and ISOs locked to the lowest possible, 100. This means that it is much brighter when you see it in person, but I wanted it to be easier to tell where the LED conversion was evenly backlit.

First, for comparison, here is an Unmodified Orange Faced Tach Cluster:

Alright, now onto the supplies list. You will need:

10 pack of T5 LED
    10 pack of T10 LED
    Soldering Iron
    Scissors
    Foil Tape (Usually found with HVAC supplies)
    Electrical Tape
    Super glue
    Some wire
    A flexible strip of High Density 5050 LED
    Srewdriver
    Step drill bit
    Pliers

Onto the build!

First, open the cluster up. You are going to remove the top cover with the downlights, the lens, and the gauge face.
    The inside will look something like this:

The 4 holes for the Backlighting are pretty covered, there is only a small slit for the light to actually come out. We will start by drilling them open and removing the plastic. First, make pilot holes in these general locations marked in Blue:

Then, use a step bit to drill them out fully. Be careful around the edges of the electronics inside.

Then, take some pliers and break off the plastic gussets and leftover cylinders in the blue marked areas.

Now take the foil tape and start taping the entire interior of the cluster. This will add reflectivity so our lights will spread more evenly. Be sure to cover the few resistors that are exposed inside with Electrical tape, as the foil tape is conductive.

Here it is fully foiled:

|

I then prepared the LED strips to fill in the gaps where the stock 4 bulb locations can't quite reach. I cut the 5050 Strip into 3 sections each with 3 LEDs. The strip is built to be cut, you will see where they can be cut and then soldered together. I placed electrical tape under the LEDs so the wires wouldn't arc across the foil tape. I also chose to remove the normal double sided tape from the strip and use Super Glue instead, as the normal tape degrades fairly easy on cheap LED strips.

I wired my 3 lengths together in parallel, then brought the tail of the wire through an unpopulated hole on the right side, where I then screwed it into the factory Illumn circuit.

Then, I replaced the 4 stock bulbs with the T10 LEDs and tested it all at once.

With face laid loosely on top:

Now we move our attention to the down lights. You will need the T5 Leds for this. Please note that unlike incandescents, the LEDs are all polarity sensitive. If it doesn't work when you put it in, flip it around!

Add 2 small squares of foil tape under the bulb seats. Do not foil the whole thing, and do not foil the vertical piece on the front. This will cause glare in the lens that is pretty noticeable.

|

While you are here, it would be a good idea to polish up the lens. I used Meguiars Plast-X, which is built for clear plastic, it works wonders.

Now, just assemble and enjoy your bright, evenly-lit Tach Cluster! It even retains the ability to be dimmed using the factory dimmer switch!

Last edited by w4rkry; 07-09-2017, 10:00 PM.
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Other than on your list of materials, I see no mention of the soldering iron. What did you use it for?
    "Blue92"- 92L 5 spd, original owner- 185K, B8,DD..
    "Pedro"-88L 5-spd, B6D (built by Advancedynamix)
    "Blanca"-92 GL auto, 125K(FM8 Lowest Miles)- B6 daughter's DD
    "Tractor Blue"- 89 L auto, 110K
    "Chester"-88 LX, runs but not street legal
    "Wenona"-89L parts car
    "Flame"- 89 LX 5 spd ,parts car

Comment

Originally posted by jawja jim View Post
      Other than on your list of materials, I see no mention of the soldering iron. What did you use it for?
      You are absolutely right, half of the entire writeup was missing after the site crashed on me!

I edited the post, should be fixed & complete now.
      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

Are the down lights even necessary at this point?
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
          Are the down lights even necessary at this point?
          Yea, the backlighting does not bleed enough to illuminate the Needles, especially on the Fuel Gauge and Temp Gauge. That's why I stuck with the 2 small LEDs up top instead of a strip. It doesn't need a ton of light, just enough to see the Needles.
          Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

very nice wright up you know its quality when it takes a while to load lol....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
              very nice wright up you know its quality when it takes a while to load lol....
              The server gave me a Temporary Ban when I previewed the post due to the sudden Image Load haha.

Thanks!
              Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Digging it. How much time you think it took to do?

Sent from my E6715 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by joshdavisjad View Post
                  Digging it. How much time you think it took to do?

Probably about 5 hours
                  Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

I may look into doing this myself. I don't have a tach but it would still. Be cool

Comment

I may look into doing this myself. I don't have a tach but it would still. Be cool

You can't really do this without a Tach. The regular Speedometer cluster is not backlit, just top lit. You can make it brighter still, but that is a different mod. I can post those instructions if you would like.
                      Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Originally posted by w4rkry View Post
                        You can't really do this without a Tach. The regular Speedometer cluster is not backlit, just top lit. You can make it brighter still, but that is a different mod. I can post those instructions if you would like.
                        I just bought one with a tach, but I'm having trouble getting it out of the car. I got it loose but can't pull it out far enough to unplug it. Any tips?

Comment

Un screw the cable at the trans and it will come out where you can unplug it.

Comment

I just bought one with a tach, but I'm having trouble getting it out of the car. I got it loose but can't pull it out far enough to unplug it. Any tips?

You have to unplug the Speedometer cable from the trans side. Otherwise you will tear it up
                            Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

Great. That's easy enough. Good thing I stopped instead of tugging on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X