No announcement yet.

Dark Grey Manual Seat belts, for cheap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Grey Manual Seat belts, for cheap!

After some guess work and expirementation, I have come up with a cheap solution to get Dark gray manual seat belts into your Festiva! This is really helpful for those of us that A) Couldn't find any 88/9 Manual Belt Festivas in our Junkyards and B) Don't like the factory light grey color.

Here is the color difference, for comparison:

Now. here is where you can get these Belts from: First Gen (1988-1998) Chevy/Geo Trackers!

Yup, these little guys can be found in junkyards all across the US, typically much more commonly than a Festiva.

SO, what you will want to do is rip out the interior plastic of one of these Trackers to expose the Seat belts and the mounting hardware. There should be 3 main mounting locations:

The bottom, where the belt winder is. There is a Bolt on the bottom and a phillips screw on the top of the mechanism.
    The very top, where the belt is bolted where your shoulder would be.
    The very bottom, at the door sill, there is a bolt behind a rubber boot.

Take all of this out on both sides and bring it home.

In your Festiva, you are going to want to again remove the plastics and A-B pillar trim to remove your Auto-belts. I can add a guide for this if needed, but it is mostly self explanatory.

On your new belts, cut off the little belt guide, you wont need it.

Then, start by bolting in the bottom of the mechanism to the Festiva. The bolts it came with will already be the proper size and pitch to fit your Festiva. You will notice the little tab for the Philips screw isn't long enough. Instead, use a ziptie to hold it to the Festiva. This is not a safety concern, as the main force of the belt is supported by the big bolt on the bottom. The ziptie just keeps it from moving around.

Next, bolt in your top bolt and bottom bolt into the holes already in your Festiva, as shown.

On my set, I had to flip the buckle for it to be in the proper orientation for the Festiva. I just folded the belt and pulled it through.

The buckle plugs directly into the stock Festiva receiver.

And that's it, you know have a dark gray, easy-to-find manual belt!

I will update this thread with how to trim your Plastic Pillars to be pretty, but these are the basics.
    Last edited by w4rkry; 08-25-2017, 11:03 AM.
    Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
    Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
    Feel free to PM me anytime!
    Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
    Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

That is beautiful.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Nice! Love new writeups!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
      Previous owner of 8 festivas... looking for number 9

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
        That is beautiful.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
        Nice! Love new writeups!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
        Thank you both! Hopefully this weekend I can re-do all thisin JDMSTIVA V1 and show where to drill the Plastics and such. I also want to figure out a good way to run plastic-less and still look good. All in good time!
        Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

How to find me:

Comment

They look exactly like the 88/89 style belts! Sweet ...
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by drddan View Post
            They look exactly like the 88/89 style belts! Sweet ...
            Yup, but darker and way more common!
            Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

One thing you may want to look into if you're doing this swap is if the belts have a tear away section section in them.

From this thread.
              Race Prep - HPDE / track day safety gear flow chart !! - There have been a few HPDE fatalities in SOCAL last few years. I was at one of the event just couple of months ago, in the same session, when a fatality occur. This bothered me quite a bit. I see a ton of improper safety gear in all HPDE events, most don't...

post 11
              "Long story short: NA Miata seatbelts have a breakaway section near the lower anchor, which consists of a looped-over section of belt loosely stitched together. In an accident, it's designed to progressively tear away, thus decreasing the severity of the force applied to your abdomen and squishy internal organs. This assumes, of course, that the airbag is there to catch your head at the end of travel. If it's not, your face absorbs the impact, resulting in things like loss of teeth, jaw and skull fractures, death, etc.

This feature isn't unique to the NA. It is seen in many airbag-equipped vehicles of similar vintage.

NBs don't have this tearaway section. It is supposed, but not proven, that they incorporate a similar mechanism within the reel assembly."

On the miata belts you can cut the stitching in the tear away section so you can use them without airbags. I just got a set of tracker belts off ebay for my car and from a quick glance it appears they have a tear away section. I'm going to mess with them some tomorrow and see what we're dealing with.
              Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Do you know what year exactly you got your seatbelts from? I stopped by a local junkyard that specializes in Trackers, Sidekicks, and X-90s and they told me they changed them some were around 1992-3. He didn't say what all changed but that he could give me the lower receiver too if I didn't have the right year but I don't think it would fit to well in a Festiva (I would think they might be a little long but that might not be the case).

Thanks, Really looking forward to getting rid of these stupid autobelts in the near future!

Comment

I always wanted darker belts. I know where there is a bunch of these Trakkers.
                  One even has the stock green wheels on it. Too bad we don't have five bolts.
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 09-03-2017, 01:04 PM.

Comment

These are from a 94 or 95 (has 94 on the labels). Passenger is different from the drivers.

passenger side has a tear away section.

After the tear away stitching is removed.

Drivers side doesn't have this so it might have something in the retractor? Haven't decided if I want to run it or not.

Way too many cars

Comment

This is some awesome research!
                      Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

I probably should have done more research before I cut up my seat belts and posted lol.
                        Looks like 95 and earlier trackers did not have airbags. So these belts would have been fine to use in a non airbag vehicle. NA miatas without airbags have the tear away section on the passenger belt. The danger is really only on the drivers side where the tear away section would let you hit the steering wheel.

Way too many cars

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                          I probably should have done more research before I cut up my seat belts and posted lol.
                          Looks like 95 and earlier trackers did not have airbags. So these belts would have been fine to use in a non airbag vehicle. NA miatas without airbags have the tear away section on the passenger belt. The danger is really only on the drivers side where the tear away section would let you hit the steering wheel.
                          I was about to mention that, but I was still doing research haha. Now we know!
                          Will Samet

How to find me:

Comment

I guess trackers are considered trucks and got around the airbag/auto belt laws so they didn't get airbags till later.

Way too many cars

Comment

Working...
                            X